2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Flasher relay issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 07:43 AM
Starting Member
svagordon is on a distinguished road
Default Flasher relay issue

I have a 2000 Blazer ZR2. Recently every time I put the signals on (left or right)the flasher relay keeps going and only shuts off if you keep your foot on the brakes. I'm thinking the problem is in the turn signal switch? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-26-2010, 12:53 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

well.......since this is the "New Member Area" for posting your "hello's", i'm gonna welcome you to the show first.

as for your problem, it sounds like you've already figured it out.

be sure to check out the tech section if you're having a problem replacing it.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:55 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

** Moving to 2nd Gen Tech **

Please read all board descriptions prior to posting to make sure you post in the correct location.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:27 PM
jck1961 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having the same issue also. If you were able to find the problem could you share the remedy with me?

Old 08-24-2010, 05:34 PM
zombiewoof is an unknown quantity at this point

Im having the same problem with my 2000 zr2 blazer,

Last edited by zombiewoof; 08-24-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A search for "clicking+under+dash" will reveal that this is a problem with the multifunction switch. It can either be solved by Broken Hazard Switch Repair or by replacement of the whole multifunction switch. It is by far cheaper to start with the hazard switch itself.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Beginning Member
allangee is on a distinguished road

I inherited a 2003 Blazer. All was well at first, then relay started ticking intermittently when turn signal was off. Ticking became more frequent, and then about a week ago became constant.
I accessed and cleaned the multi-function switch. The procedure was fairly simple. Results as follows.

SATURDAY -- accessed, cleaned, reassembled (about 4 hours total). Turned ignition on and ticking was still there. Very disappointing. Took it for a drive and ticking stopped occasionally, leading me to believe I did the right thing, just not thorough enough.

SUNDAY -- ticking is full time.

MONDAY -- experiencing short periods with no ticking.

TUESDAY -- sick, didn't go out all.

WEDNESDAY -- almost no ticking whatsoever.

Is it possible the alcohol I used to clean out the dielectric grease took a while to fully evaporate when mixed with the dielectric? Or perhaps my cleaning removed enough that after a couple of days of use it redistributed itself to a working level?

Anyway... looks good so far. If it returns, I believe I will use a can of contact cleaner after removing the bulk of crud with cotton swabs -- just for a more thorough flush.

TRIED TO POST NOTES OF WHAT I DID, BUT THEY DIDN'T SHOW UP -- is there a word or character limit on posts?

UPDATE: Started getting full-time ticking again within a couple of days. Accessed the multifunction switch again -- goes much faster the second time. Aplied liberal amounts of contact cleaner and shot as much as I could into and around the hazard switch part... something I couldn't touch with cotton swabs.

A little bit of ticking after assembling. A little less ticking the next day. Only occasional ticking to date.

If it jiggle the stem on the multifunction switch, I can sometimes get the relay to click. So I suspect there's something other than just gunk affecting it. May have to replace it, but will see how much time the cleaning bought me.

I may also spend the $20 on a new hazard/turn signal relay just to make sure it's not the problem, or part of the problem. (Can an overly "sensitive" relay be more apt to click?). New multifunction switch will run me about $200 Canadian for the part, so $20 for a relay is not much of an extra cost/gamble.

Thanks again for posting the cleaning instructions. Well done!

Last edited by allangee; 08-30-2010 at 11:45 AM. Reason: updated post
Old 04-18-2011, 07:19 PM
Starting Member
annicat is on a distinguished road

Is the signal relay the same thing as the flasher on chevy blazer? I have a 95 Blazer s10 and I have replaced the flasher and have new fuses and my blinkers still won't work. They just quit all of a sudden and I cannot figure out what to do next.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There are two separate flasher modules, one for the turn signals and one for the hazards. Both are located in the convenience center behind the center of the instrument panel.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:18 PM
Starting Member
annicat is on a distinguished road

I know there are 2 separate flashers, my question is are the flashers and the relays the same item or are there 2 flashers and 2 relays? I replaced the flashers, both of them, and the blinkers still don't work. I want to know if there is another part called a relay that I need to look at changing.

Quick Reply: Flasher relay issue