2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Floor Heat Stays On

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Beginning Member
Reed185 is on a distinguished road
Default Floor Heat Stays On

I am new to this site, this being only my second post, But I am having some issues with my 95 Blazer. Yesterday, me and a buddy took an hour trip to a fishing spot we like and My Blazer doesn't have AC so we had the windows down and I continuously felt hot air blowing on my legs and feet. I have heard that many people have problems with the Actuators behind the dash. Could this be my problem? Everything on the dash is off as far as the HVAC controls.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:14 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Do you hear a hissing sound anywhere in the dash or under the hood? Sounds like a vacuum leak. The vehicles vacuum actuates the HAVC control door to the vent, floor etc.
Start at the engine & follow each vacuum like around looking for cracks, being unplugged etc. Also look at the brake booster & follow the vacuum lines into the cab of the blazer. I'm not sure if a '95 have a vacuum box in the fenderwell like my '02 does.

Oh yeah - search around in here... all I've said has been repeated many times & with a lot more info.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:49 PM
Beginning Member

Now that you mention it, I think I have heard a hissing behind the dash. I guess that could maybe cause it to run a little weird as well? But If it was major wouldnt it be throwing a code or the CEL coming on?

Old 07-05-2012, 02:06 PM
BF Veteran

Yup it would run differently, higher idle, mileage would go down as well. There may be a code present but it hasn't happened often enough or is the type that won't turn the CEL on yet. Have it scanned for codes at Auto Value or some parts place, they'll usually do it for free. Find that leak & replace the line 1st. I used windshield washer tubing with a 5/32 ID I think.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:07 PM
Beginning Member

Not sure what to expect on the MPG`s because I havent even had it a week. Its not high Idle, but more of a different tone in the exaust which makes me think that it could be the converter, because the EGR stuff has been replaced and it would throw a code if it was the EGR. My mom has a twin to mine and it threw a code because they have an EGR problem that is leading to some sort of Exaust leak.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:28 PM
BF Veteran

Could be a clogged up EGR, do a search for cleaning an EGR, it may be in the DIY section.
As for mileage look up the MPG thread, there are lots of similiar rides to yours.
I'd still search for a buggered up vacuum line.
Under the hood you can let it idle & spray brake cleaner over the vacuum lines. When the engine revs change - you've found a leaky hose.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:05 PM
Beginning Member

Well it could be the EGR but I know it has been taken off and cleaned. I would have thought it would have thrown a code though?

Old 07-06-2012, 09:29 AM
aa21830 is on a distinguished road

These vehicles will still let air pass through to your feet, even when the HVAC control is set to off. The faster you drive, the more air will flow down there. And when it's hot outside, it will only be hot air that comes at your feet.

If that isn't odd enough...with the HVAC control set to off, the temperature **** will still control the temp of the air coming at your feet. Summer time will give you only hot air, but in the winter, you can get just about whatever air temp you want coming at your feet, just by turning the temp ****.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Beginning Member

I realized today that the slower I drove that I didn't feel it, but I do know that I can hear it hissing sometimes, Mainly when I shut it off for just a few seconds. And I believe the CEL is disconnected or Bulb is out because it never comes on even when I turn the key on.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:11 PM
aa21830 is on a distinguished road

Only hissing you should hear from the dash area is when you're turning the HVAC control ****. If it's constant hissing, then you have a vacuum leak somewhere. So maybe take a look here and then decide how much of a project to want to make of this.

Quick Reply: Floor Heat Stays On