2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fluctuating Fuel Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 02:42 PM
Beginning Member
manfrednj is on a distinguished road
Question Fluctuating Fuel Gauge

What circuit or component keeps the fuel gauge from wobbling around as the gasoline moves in the tank ?
I need to fix this as it is most annoying... while driving the gauge does not stay steady as in all other vehicles I have had.. I assume there is some thing like a capacitor or electrical dampening circuit that smooths out the signal from the tank float.

Any leads would be appreciated

1995 LS 327K

Last edited by manfrednj; 09-08-2018 at 03:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-08-2018, 04:20 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

It is mounted to the pump in the tank. It may have broke loose. If your gonna pull the pump the fix it you may as well replace the pump. Use a delphi or acdelco pump. The other cheap ones last about a year.

Old 09-08-2018, 06:06 PM
G0LFADD1CT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by newguy
It is mounted to the pump in the tank. It may have broke loose. If your gonna pull the pump the fix it you may as well replace the pump. Use a delphi or acdelco pump. The other cheap ones last about a year.
I agree. Mine used to bounce around and then it wouldn't read above a half a tank. Installed a new pump which included the level sensor and it's been working great. Watched a Youtube video first which made it "fairly" easy.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:25 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the tips however the tank, fuel pump and sending unit are all new. The gauge bounced around with the original sender unit also. the sender unit can not be the problem. Think about this logically... The gas is sloshing around in the tank ..therefore the sender float is constantly moving also... therefore the resistance of the circuit is always changing.... the gauge (absent any controls) would move around also.

There must be some circuit or device the smooths out and averages the constantly changing signal to provide a steady gauge reading over the short term.

Anyone know how this works ? Thanks

Old 09-09-2018, 09:11 AM

Did you search the site for fuel gauge problems? There are several threads dealing with this. It could be the gauge itself, or possibly a buffer module.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:48 AM
Beginning Member

Yes I did a search prior to posting. The predominant answer is to replace the pump/sending unit. there are references to a module (pump relay most likely?) but no specifics regarding my 1995 model. Notably missing is an explanation of how the fuel gauge system really works aside from the sender being a variable resistor which is obvious..

I would be most interested in in the gauge controls and buffer module you refer to.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:32 AM

This is a post in a thread labeled "1997 Jimmy fuel sender". Do a search to locate it. The diagram is 2 pages.

06-17-2012, 12:37 PM
swartlkk Administrator
The PCM supplies +5V reference to the fuel level sending unit in the tank. The voltage passes through the variable resistor grid and is reduced. From there, it goes to the buffer which passes the bounces that same signal back out to the PCM as well as modifies it (buffers it) before sending it to the gauge cluster.

Attached is the wiring schematic applicable to your truck.Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by G0LFADD1CT; 09-09-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:41 AM
Beginning Member

Hi - Thanks for the lead.

Unfortunately that may not be relevant to my vehicle. The post refers to a 1997 Jimmy.... I have a 1995 Blazer engine code W... More specifically it is one of the 'oddball' versions that has an OBD1 compliance sticker under the hood but has an OBD2 connector under the dash. It puts out Pxxxx format codes.

In reading the Chiltons Manual I have, it's described as having a VCM-A engine controller. (deduced because of the Pxxxx style codes) The related schematic diagrams do not show a "Buffer Module". The fuel sender is shown directly feeding the gauge. Any other ideas ? Anyone have the same model Blazer ?

Old 09-11-2018, 08:16 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I still think its on the pump that is the problem. You can buy bad units

Old 09-12-2018, 08:23 AM
Beginning Member

I assume you mean the sender unit..... The gauge moved around with the original one. I installed a new one.. the gauge still moves around. I tested the original one .. its fine...There must be something that smooths out the float movements to display on the gauge. When not moving the gauge it steady ... move a bit and the gauge swings back and forth following the rocking fuel level...

With all the experience here someone must know what the answer is.

Quick Reply: Fluctuating Fuel Gauge