2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fluid questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 08:59 AM
Starting Member
Smoked is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fluid questions

Okay...so i got my 99 blazer zr2 with 250kms(not miles) and I want to do a tuneup. I plan on changing the fluid in the transfer case and differential(oils done already as well as transmission).

It's a 99 4x4 and I live in Canada near the border so climate ranges from sub zero to 30's. What types/weights of fluids should I be using for these two components?

Thanks!

Old 03-25-2008, 01:37 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Fluid questions

From the owner's manual:[align=left]Transfer Case AUTO-TRAK II Fluid[/align][align=left](GM Part No. 12378508).[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Electronic[/align][align=left]Transfer Case[/align][align=left]DEXRON-III Automatic[/align][align=left]Transmission Fluid.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Automatic[/align][align=left]Transfer Case[/align][align=left]AUTO-TRAK II Fluid[/align](GM Part No. 12378508).
[align=left]Front and Rear[/align][align=left]Axle (Standard[/align][align=left]Differential)[/align][align=left]SAE 80W-90 Axle Lubricant (GM[/align]Part No. 1052271 or equivalent).
[align=left][/align][align=left]Rear Axle[/align][align=left](Locking[/align][align=left]Differential)[/align][align=left]Axle Lubricant; use only GM Part[/align][align=left]No. 1052271. Do not add friction[/align]modifier.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Starting Member

Cool thanks...now i dont' have an owners manual. I'm assuming the zr2 in 99 has the autotrak(auto 4x4)? and the locking diff? Is there an option code i can confirm on the truck which differential it has?

thanks

Old 03-25-2008, 02:14 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

To get an owner's manual, register your truck at http://www.mygmlink.comand you canview onlineor order a manual.
On the inside of your glove box door is a list of the rpo (regular production option) codes for your truck. You can insert them into this decoderand find what came on your vehicle.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Starting Member

I've registered on the site... but it would have been nice to know that i had to switch to another site for canada BEFORE filling out a couple pages of info LOL

Thanks

Old 03-25-2008, 07:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

G80 - Locking Rear Differential
NP1 - NVG136 (one speed automatic - AWD)
NP4 - NVG233 (two speed selectable)
NP8 - NVG236/246 (two speed automatic - Auto4WD)

For NP1 & NP8, you need to use Autotrak II. For NP4, you can use regular Dexron III ATF.

What was the website that you had to go to? Next time I make the recommendation, I will make sure to include the CA version.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:11 PM
Starting Member

I'll get the link tomorrow at work..it's on that computer.

Does the differential have a drain on the 2nd gens? If not i'll need to get a gasket too.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No drain. So yes, you will need a gasket.

I'll be adding a drain to the diff on my Rainier. Its easy enough and was there on the '02-'03 rear diffs, why not have on on mine! LOL

Old 03-26-2008, 12:05 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

If you need Auto Trak II fluid, You can use Red Line. They have a fluid that meets GM specs & is much cheaper. I can't remember which fluid it is. I had an 04 Trailblazer that called for that. I emailed Red Line and they told me to use what ever it was. I used it with no problems at all. MTL or something. I bought it from Jegs.com. Just some info.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Does RedLine publish that it meets the specs or did they just say that? Last I read about it, they suggested that if you were under warranty not to use their MTL (which is a manual transmission lubricant btw) in the active transfercases due to warranty issues. They also said that they don't publish that it meets the specs because their lube is red and GMs is blue which seems like major BS to me.

You can get the proper Autotrak II from your dealer counter anywhere from $5.00/qt to $7.00/qt. Found the Redline MTL anywhere from $8.95/qt to over $10/qt... For the price difference and the unwillingness of Redline to actually qualify its fluid for use in GM active transfer cases and backup their unofficial statements, I wouldn't use it...

Quick Reply: Fluid questions