2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Forward driveshaft question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Beginning Member
JSBlenz9498 is on a distinguished road
Default Forward driveshaft question

Well i have another driveline noise

I believe its coming from the forward driveshaft. Im going to replace the u-joint on it tomorrow but there is all kinds of play coming from the other end of it, here:

is this replaceable or is it that part of the transfer case?

Old 01-31-2010, 06:50 AM
metmag52 is on a distinguished road

There is a splined shaft coming out of the transfer case, and your drive shaft slips over that--what kind of noise ???

Gary

Old 01-31-2010, 02:55 PM
Beginning Member
CTYankee is on a distinguished road

Coincidence! Have the same sort of problem that happened this weekend while off-roading in the desert. Seems I blew-out my front driveshaft, possibly too much torque, or just old and worn-out. I am not a mechanic, but am willing to replace it if the job is pretty straight forward. Some pics of what it looks like:

Rear portion where it connects to transfer case. Does not look like the teeth are damaged or anything, just seperated away from it.

Other end of that small section {Some sort of torque converter?}, totally blown-out.

Front of driveshaft where it connects to U-joint, looks fine.

Front U-joint where it connects to the differential, there is a very slite seperation.

This happened while climbing some hills and I was in 4-Hi, got the chatter as the shaft seperated from the transfer case. Stopped immediately and switched to 2-HI to get down and back to camp, only heard the chatter a couple times on the way back and then only for a few seconds. Drove truck home {100mi} no problem.

Looking at the spline it seems to be OK, none of the teeth are cracked looking or look excessively worn. That small section is definately not right though.

Guess my question as a non-mechanic type is, is this just a matter of obtaining a new driveshaft, then removing the old one and swapping them out?

1. Just remove the 4 bolts at the front U-joint and this will allow me to take the old one off? There isn't anything actually holding it onto the spline of the transfer case at the rear end of the driveshaft?

2. That small seperation between the U-joint and the differential, is that normal or could that be a sign of a bigger problem?

VEH Info:

2003 LS Blazer 4WD 2DR Automatic, it does have a 6" Superlift on it, could this also possibly be why it broke?

It was worth it:

Thanks!

Old 01-31-2010, 09:36 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

As Metmag pointed out it's a splined shaft coming out of the transfer case and the driveshaft slips over it. At the front it's a U-joint, at the rear they use a CV joint like the driveshafts that drive the wheels. If that's sloppy buy a rebuilt front driveshaft. Never tried to rebuild a CV joint, never will. CTYankee: Yours is missing the rubber boot and all the grease that was packed in there. Also there's a plastic protector ring/seal that goes on the transfer case to keep the dust out, looking at your pictures yours is broken away.