2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

FPR / Spider

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 04:19 PM
BlaziNator is on a distinguished road
Default FPR / Spider

My brother has 2000 Sonoma ZR2 (W code 4.3) that has a fuel leak. I recently had the same issue and replaced the FPR on mine and all is well. His truck is displaying the same exact symptoms mine did, so I am lead to believe his FPR or some part of his spider injector is leaking (poppet?). My questions is, does anyone have a DIY on how to remove the intake plenum on the later models? Mine is a '95 CPI engine so I'm not familiar with his set-up. Does anyone have any tips or pointers? Pictures of the inside? Any help would be greatly appreciated. We will be tackling it this Friday.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Starting Member
Schrade is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BlaziNator
My brother has 2000 Sonoma ZR2 (W code 4.3) that has a fuel leak. I recently had the same issue and replaced the FPR on mine and all is well. His truck is displaying the same exact symptoms mine did, so I am lead to believe his FPR or some part of his spider injector is leaking (poppet?). My questions is, does anyone have a DIY on how to remove the intake plenum on the later models? Mine is a '95 CPI engine so I'm not familiar with his set-up. Does anyone have any tips or pointers? Pictures of the inside? Any help would be greatly appreciated. We will be tackling it this Friday.

Thanks in advance!
I just got '98 FSM. If induction/injection is the same, I can post up scans. Maybe swrttk knows?

Old 03-18-2010, 08:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Its virtually the same from '96 through end of production in terms of what you'll find when you pop the upper plenum off.

You'll start by removing the throttle body and the fuel lines. Then disconnect pretty much everything from the upper plenum. Then remove it. The spider will stay connected to the lower intake plenum. You can then reinstall the fuel lines and pressurize the system. Try not to be tempted to bend the lines out of the way. They are a ROYAL pain to get back into the spider correctly once bent.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Starting Member

Here's a couple pics might be good for a start...

Attached Thumbnails FPR / Spider-hpim2551.jpg   FPR / Spider-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by Schrade; 03-18-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:46 PM

Awesome. Thanks guys, you're the best. Someone should do a DIY on the post '95 plenum removal. The one for my engine on here is amazing.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Feel free to take pictures and post them. hint hint

Old 03-19-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Pictures I can do...I'm not sure I'm the best candidate for the write-up though lol. We shall see...

Another question. I replaced the FPR on my truck which was sold separately. I have been told that the FPR on my brother's sonoma is built in to the injector and cannot be changed on it's own. True?

Old 03-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk

Originally Posted by BlaziNator
Pictures I can do...I'm not sure I'm the best candidate for the write-up though lol. We shall see...

Another question. I replaced the FPR on my truck which was sold separately. I have been told that the FPR on my brother's sonoma is built in to the injector and cannot be changed on it's own. True?
Pics are good in SO many ways yup. Get a camera, cause it will pay for itself when you sell.

You have photo-doc'ed dated pics of your work in public domain. When you sell your vehicle, you have proof of DETAILED work. You'll get more $$ uh huh.

Read how many new owners say, "The last owner did this...". SHOW ME STUFF, DON'T TELL ME. Words go away when the sound stops. Pics stick around UH HUH.

You have reference for rebuild when you can't remember a part's right place.

Others who DON'T know get helped. Others who DO know can help.

Taking pics and posting photos makes you think the repair process through more as you do it. More problems get solved this way, and you learn better the function of what you're repairing. Flex your noggin' - get it all bowed-up yup.

Site traffic increases, ad space revenue becomes premium.

I sold my last vette last October. Guy flew in from Philly with his son, to RDU, and I brought them to my house. I gave him the key, and told him where 3 local Chevy dealers were, to check it out. He said he saw enough, in half a dozen repair/maintenance threads I sent links before he flew down - close to 30k hits (one alone has 17k), with DETAIL - like toothbrush cleaning bolt threads, chasin' bolt holes with Shop-Vac and oil, so bolts go back in like they're on ball bearings UH HUH.

He pulled the trigger, left it in the driveway, came inside and chatted for 30 minutes while it went closed loop. We dealt, he hopped in, and drove to Philly. I went shopping for another to start on yee HAH ...

Last edited by Schrade; 03-19-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:06 PM
Administrator

The FPR in both of your vehicles is replaceable. Those that are telling you otherwise are blowing smoke up your ... trying to get you to spend more money than you need to.