2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Front Brakes Dragging

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 06:13 PM
terry s is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by midnightbluS10
Were they dragging before that?

I had two calipers freeze up on a Toyota Camry after doing a pad and rotor replacement on it. Crap loosened up in the lines when I pushed the pistons back in and was fed back into the calipers, making them stick.
I do not know if it would have made a difference but the most contaminated fluid in the system is in the calipers due to the severe temperature changes. It is a good idea particularly with anti lock brakes which are sensitive to contaminated fluid to put a small hose on the bleed screw and open the bleed screw when pushing the pistons back into the caliper. This way you can drain the old fluid into a container.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Beginning Member
JOHNNY59 is on a distinguished road

No, the brakes were not dragging before installing the new pads.Its just strange that both sides freeze up at the same time and release at the same time.Also they don't seem to drag all the time.I'm going to flush out the old fluid and see if that helps.Next step after that is to change the calipers and hoses.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:37 PM

Flushing the fluid is a good idea, cheap & easy to do but will probably not solve the problem. Instead of just changing parts that might not be bad try to diagnose the problem. When the brake is dragging have someone step on the brake and release it. As soon as they release it open the bleed screw if the brake releases the hose is your problem. If it still drags it may be the piston sticking in the caliper assuming the pins & slides are good as you have said.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

x2 (or was that 3) on the hoses and the flush.

It should give you some indication of the condition of the hoses when you flush the brakes. If the hoses are bad, flushing the brakes may be difficult.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Beginning Member
aaron96gmc is on a distinguished road

thanks for th sugestions on this, i am having the same problem with my 96 gmc 4x4. but mine is only doing this on the drivers side. i thought it was the brake calipers so i changed both of the fronts.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:52 PM
rodrickw is on a distinguished road

is there a chance that the slide pins are too tight on the caliper? i have a 95 blazer also, i changed the brake booster thinking it was the problem, but obviously not (at least I have a new brake booster?). i am going to change the hoses if it is not the slide pins being too tight

Old 02-24-2011, 09:58 AM

Yes it could be binding on the pins. Take it apart and clean the pins and related parts with brake cleaner. If any of the rubber parts are not in good shape replace them. Then grease them with Brake Caliper grease from the auto store. Put it back together without the brake pads. You should be able to easily slide the caliper back & forth. If not somethig is binding or dragging. This often causes the pads to wear at an angle or for one pad to wear faster than the other one.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:56 PM

ok. i changed the hoses on my blazer and moved the caliper around to make sure its sliding, but my front brakes are still dragging. is it because the front are compensating for the back brakes? do my back brakes need to be adjusted?

Old 03-03-2011, 07:31 PM

What do you mean by dragging? All disc brakes drag a little because there are no springs to pull the pads away from the rotors. It is doubtful that both sides would be dragging excessivly. Is one side getting hotter than the other side? Why do you think the dragging is excessive?

Adjustingthe rear brakes should have no effect.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:46 AM

they are seizing on the rotor. do you think it is my brake proportioning valve?

Quick Reply: Front Brakes Dragging