2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Front end clunking

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 12:21 AM
Beginning Member
tac2015 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Toocute350
I have a 2001 Ls Blazer.The front end clunks on certain bumps, pot holes in the streets.I did discover that both outer tie rods need to be changed.can this be the culpret?Does anyone else hear a clunk from the front end of their blazer?
Mine is the PITMAN and Idler arms. but it only clunks when I turn the steering wheel sharp going slow, usually in reverse.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:52 AM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

It seems we all had the same problems at one time, with a damn great truck.But the key thing to do..Is find and hold on to a real mechanic that you can trust.You get what you pay for.I`ve been lucky,I`ve been truly grateful to have my own personal mechanic for the last 20 yrs.He`s expensive, but he does the job right the first time.I never have to take it back to him if and when he used to work on my 81 chevy malibu.I never had to bring in my blazer just yet.But i will be bringing it in to have him take off my door panels so I can change out all of my door speakers.Then after that I will have him change out my driver door hinge pins with bushings.I brought my blazer in this just pass saturday to pep boys.I don`t normally go to places like that because the charge you for every little thing.I asked them to chheck my front end for maybe having bad ball joints etc.They said"It will cost you $20.00!" I said"NO THANKS!"I`ll just check that myself.I needed new tires so I used their credit card,which it had a deal(No interest if you paid your balance off withing 12 months) plus I bought the front end alignment for$85.00.They do have an alignment deal, if you have bad front end parts and change them some where else or change them yourself?Bring it back to pep boys,within 90 days,they will re align your front end for free.I couldn`t pass that deal up.So in the end I still had to pay for the alignment.You just have to do your homework before you bring in any vehicle.Another place I trust alot is Firestone.I used to bring my malibu to them before I found my personal mechanic.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:20 PM
Beginning Member
pdxcrew427 is on a distinguished road

Hey I have clunking in my front end as well took it to a shop to check my suspension they say it's fine. And I have no front seat bar. I did notice upon further inspection that driver side cv has play up and down where it goes into the seal and bearing in my transfer case. Could this be the clunk ? Also I have almost a wheel hop at 55 mph. Les Schwann said everything was good with suspension so I don't know anymore ! Any suggestions?

Old 11-05-2015, 07:20 PM
Beginning Member

Front sway bar***

Old 11-05-2015, 07:38 PM

Wouldn`t I see the hood moving back and forth or side to side.It`s mainly on the drivers side.I`m thinking it maybe the motor mounts, because some times I start her up I feel a slight jolt.Another thing my steering linkage between the firewall and steering box has some play in it.When I changed out the #3 plug I had to take the steering rod off of the steering box in order to replace just that one plug.Iwill try and check everything this weekend.I think it`s my outer tie rods.Because I can take a turn them back and forth real easy.All of the ball joints are good.I just got an alignment last week.But will check the hood issue tomorrow sometime.Thanks a bunch

Old 11-06-2015, 05:29 AM

Not sure about cv boots, because I`ve never owned a 4x4.Trying to figure out what your talking bout when you said"Seat bar" I`ve seen some guys install camera`s on their truck`s to find out where the clunk is coming from.Like everyone says"Check sway bar links" If it`s all original change out the end links with energy suspension parts.As far as wheel hop sounds like it maybe a tire that`s bad,or out of balance, or a worn ,bad shock.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:14 AM
Beginning Member

I meant sway bar. And I switched tires around still comes from the same area ... Guy at led Schwab said suspension parts are fine maybe a bad shock , or all the tires are bad I bought them used if they are bad that's a huge waste of money oh well.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:15 AM
Beginning Member

I did find that I had up and down movement on my cv axle where it goes into my differential. Could a bad seal and bearing cause vibration or hop and clunking?

Old 11-19-2015, 03:26 PM

Re: Front end clunking.

I just discovered today what the clinking noise was.It`s the hood hinge on the driver side.I was told that G.M. sells special washers for this problem.Part# 12383460

Old 11-23-2015, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by DaveHearne
Something worth checking is the hood hinges. It's a common problem on these trucks & the clunking sounds exactly like it could be coming from the suspension somewhere. It happened to mine. Grab the back edge of the hood each side & try to wobble it up & down.
If that's the problem GM dealers sell a couple of conical washers that cures the clunk. Part number - 12383460
I just recieved the conical washers today.I had ordered them saturday 21 2015, at my local chevrolet dealer.I will be installing them tomorrow morning.They almost look like a feral washer that`s used on an 5/8x 3/8 compression angle stop valve that`s used in a kitchen or bathroom on the cold and hot water lines.I can see by the way their made, that the more you tighten the hood hinge bolt..The more the conical washer`s will compress.This will eventually fill in the gap between the hinge bolt and the gap of the hinge itself.I`ll let you know the out come.

Quick Reply: Front end clunking