2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Beginning Member
Black99blazer is on a distinguished road
Default Front end noise

99 4x4. It's been making a weird almost grinding noise from the front so I had it checked out and was told it was a wheel bearing so I replaced both hubs and did both axles and brake pads to and the noise is still happening. It's not rpm related but doesn't seem to get louder with speed. Any ideas I can check out are appreciated.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Does the noise stop if you select 4WD?

Old 02-01-2013, 04:24 PM
trobbins is on a distinguished road

does the noise get any louder when breaking?

Old 02-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Beginning Member

When in 4hi it might be a bit quieter but my 4hi light just blinks and when it 4lo it's worse and whines real loud. It doesn't change at all with braking or not braking.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:48 PM
aa21830 is on a distinguished road

Take a look at the vacuum actuator under the battery tray. Sometimes the vacuum switch on the transfer case sticks open and causes the actuator to pull the 4WD engagement cable constantly. If this is the case, you'll have grinding noise that should go away if you can get the transfer case to shift into 4WD (which it sounds like you can't, at least in 4HI). There's more on this in the DIY Section.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Beginning Member

It's a brand new actuator and cable. I know the dumbass kids that had it before me had a messed up actuator and were just pulling the cable by hand to get 4wd. But I will take a look at it ASAP and get back on

Old 02-05-2013, 05:43 PM
Beginning Member

Ok so I looked at that post in the DIY section an I have the 236 transfer case so that switch is up on my firewall. If I squeeze the actuator the solenoid lets air out a small hole in the top of it so I don't know if that's good or bad. I ordered a new push button for it cuz the lights stopped working. I can hear it all click it but when the light actually does work it just blinks. I took the half shaft off and inspected the gears and one of them was a bit grinded up so I lightly filed it smooth and put it all back together but I am still getting the noise. I'm suspecting the solenoid or maybe a driveline bearing? It's extremely annoying. All help is appreciated thankyou

Old 02-05-2013, 05:44 PM
Beginning Member

I have also jacked up both sides and spun the wheels and no grinding noise was heard

Old 02-05-2013, 06:32 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

In 2WD, the actuator should vent, and release the cable, sounds like yours is venting. Removing the halfshaft exposes the end of the axle shaft, it does not expose the gears & clutch. The right axle tube must be removed to inspect the clutch parts. Items 9 through 23 all have to do with engaging the right axle shaft with the differential:

Name:  4X4Frontdifferential-Copy-1.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  48.3 KB

To check if the right axle is engaging, raise only the right front wheel, engine at idle, transmission in park, and 4WD selected: the right front wheel should not rotate by hand.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Beginning Member

Right and I removed the tube(I call half shaft) and had numbers 9-23 were all out. 9 was a bit ground at the edge from 12 so I lightly filed 9 to smooth the edges of the teeth and put it all back together and the noise is still there regardless if I pick 2hi, 4hi, or 4lo. I can hear everything clicking in when pushing a button. I have had a 4x4 shop vacuum check it and said there are no leaks. Tomorrow I am going to try taking the front driveshaft out of it because it spins about a 1/4 turn by hand then locks up

Quick Reply: Front end noise