2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Front hub bearing replacement general question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 06:26 PM
Starting Member
ntjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lunghdlunghd
Yup, it's a 4wd. Hub & socket arrived yesterday. If I tear up the nut I'll have son swing by AutoZone for one on way home from work.

Hub isn't 'driveworks' but another generic brand - about $45 including shipping from Amazon.
About 3 years ago I had to put one of those Amazon brand hubs in my Bravada due to a budget crunch at the time...Detroit Axle I think. It has done fine but I don't go offroad or anything. I keep waiting for some noise, in which case I will upgrade, but its still quiet.....lucky I know.

If I wheeled at all I wouldn't have done it.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:07 PM
Beginning Member
lunghdlunghd is on a distinguished road

Not a horrible job & it's done. Hub assembly comes out easier than on Jeeps, which was a big help. Kind of a pain in the rear to access those three bolts 'square on' - lot of box wrench time that would have been quicker with a socket but overall - no real complaints.

I appreciate the feedback & help!

Old 12-17-2015, 07:11 PM
Beginning Member
lunghdlunghd is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ntjoe
About 3 years ago I had to put one of those Amazon brand hubs in my Bravada due to a budget crunch at the time...Detroit Axle I think. It has done fine but I don't go offroad or anything. I keep waiting for some noise, in which case I will upgrade, but its still quiet.....lucky I know.

If I wheeled at all I wouldn't have done it.

Was that your review on Amazon? Saw one for someone who did a Bravada.

Didn't get Detroit Axle - I'll look at the box tomorrow & see what it was.
EDIT: Prime Choice is brand name.
Chinese manufactured, imported to Canada, sold on Amazon, shipped to USA... geez it already has 12000 miles on it!

Last edited by lunghdlunghd; 12-18-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:16 PM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tajohns34
Also, you can get a good deal at Advance Auto if you know how to use coupon codes. You could probably get a good bit off of a new hub/bearing assembly. I just checked and there is a promo code that allows you to get $40.80 off of a MOOG hub making it less than the cheap driveworks brand. This all assuming that it is 4x4.
Do you happen to know the coupon code for that discount?

Old 12-18-2015, 11:27 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

It is TRT41, gets you $40 off $100 or more.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:58 PM
Starting Member
Vahomboy is on a distinguished road

TRT30 gets you 30% off $50.00 or more.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:30 PM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

Great thanks just ordered up a axle assembly for under $50

Old 12-23-2015, 01:22 PM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

Not a hard job, looking back. On my 4WD 2003, it was three 18 mm bolts on the front hub. The caliper is held on by two 18 mm bolts. the ABS wire harness is held on by two 13 mm and one 10 mm, IIRC. The best DIY source are the two video's put out on Youtube by 1A Auto who will also sell the parts and be sure--those who haven't ever done this job--- look at the vid's on 1A Auto for the 1998 ti 2005 Chevy and GMC S10/S15 trucks. I used a 36 mm DEEP socket, a regular socket is too shallow. I also chose a six point vs. the 12 point DEEP socket. Why? No slipping and rounding of corners. These are carried by AZ, Adv Auto Parts and O'Reiley's. See my write up on 'Steering and suspension' section here at:
Roaring noise in frnt from 40-60 mph 03 Blzr

Old 12-23-2015, 03:49 PM
Starting Member
ntjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lunghdlunghd
Was that your review on Amazon? Saw one for someone who did a Bravada.

Didn't get Detroit Axle - I'll look at the box tomorrow & see what it was.
EDIT: Prime Choice is brand name.
Chinese manufactured, imported to Canada, sold on Amazon, shipped to USA... geez it already has 12000 miles on it!
Might have been....I looked at my reviews but couldn't find it, but that doesn't mean anything, might have been inebriated when I wrote it, but its still holding up good.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:34 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

I forgot to post the prices on my above post. The Moog 4WD hub with ABS was 140.99 but they often have discounts if you buy over 100.00. The 36 mm six point, deep socket is 19.99 at all three parts stores I listed. Be sure to get some Loctite /I used blue/ and some anti-sieze for the CV shaft splines. I always use PB Blaster on the assorted bolts and nuts you will remove. Don't forget to lube the brake calipers at the critical friction places. I am like the OP and live in a remote area and it is a pain to chase a part you forgot. It is even worse when your only transportation is out of service because it is torn down!

Quick Reply: Front hub bearing replacement general question...