2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Front Wheel Hub replacement for 2WD

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 10:45 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Front Wheel Hub replacement for 2WD

I have found that a few solid blows to the center of the rotor will loosen things up. Are you replacing rotors as well or keeping stock?

Old 03-29-2008, 10:50 AM
C5Longhorn is an unknown quantity at this point

I was planning on re-using the existing rotor, but that may not be an option. Thanks for the response.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Spray some penetrating oil where the rotor meets the hub in the center. Clean this area up as good as you can as well. Then take a real hammer and hit the hub area of the rotor (the part that fits over the hub assembly) as well as between the lug studs. Once the penetrating oil gets a chance to get in there, it should come off. The vibration from the hammer strikes will help the penetrating oil get in there.

If you are going to re-use the rotor, you will need some brake parts cleaner to remove the penetrating oil residue from the pad contact surfaces of the rotor.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:34 AM

Thanks, Kyle, this is really giving me problems. It also looks like the rotors are hanging up on the stud bolts. I've already got the hub bolts loose, so I just have to get the rotor off and it doesn't want to budge.

Or

Plan B: I could take the whole hub off, and buy a new rotor. Does the dust shield go behind the rotor and hub?

Old 03-30-2008, 09:24 AM

UPDATE - I got it put back together. I ended up removing the hub and replacing the rotor. Somehow, this was the stock GM rotor with 114K on it. I'm amazed it lasted that long, but that would explain why it would not come off. I'm going to remove it with a small sledge and keep it for a backup if its salvagable.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. They were much appreciated.

Rick