2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel Filler Hose Help 2001 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 09:54 PM
rvanbeers is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Filler Hose Help 2001 Blazer

So the story goes like this. Daughter gets fuel pump replaced and someone forgot to put the o-ring on causing fuel leak when the tank was full. Super dad (me) decides to tackle the job. All was well except I trashed the filler hose on the tank side and it leaked a little. So I just cut it off and went to get a new one. BIG MISTAKE I went the the dealer and the hose was discontinued. Went to 3 parts stores with no luck. Went to a pick and pull and the 2000 that was there has a different configuration (Has vent line attached and is bigger whereas the 2001 is a single line.

Here's my problem. The hose that I cut has two different end sizes. The gas tank fitting is bigger than the fuel filler neck. is it possible to get one size and stretch it out?

any thoughts on how to tackle this? Stumped on this.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:43 PM
Starting Member
volfan4 is an unknown quantity at this point

you may be able to buy both sizes and use the smaller as a bushing inside the larger hose and clamp the hell out of it on the smaller fitting. but there may not be enough room in the larger hose for this to work. I would first hit more junk yards, ebay and check craigslist for someone selling parts off a wreck.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:59 PM

Sadly the size variance is only 3/8 inch. I found a 2001 Jimmy that is parting out. Do you know if Jimmy/Blazer are compatible?

Old 04-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by rvanbeers
Do you know if Jimmy/Blazer are compatible?
should be, cant hurt to look. I would look at other GM vehicles and see if you could find a longer one you can cut to size. maybe a full size Tahoe or Yukon.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:48 AM
Starting Member
marksoftball is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello rvanbeers,

Seems like a hard part to find.

Try this link. It may take a little digging/communication
on your part but you might find it with some effort.

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

Mark K

Old 04-08-2012, 04:55 AM
Starting Member
marksoftball is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello rvanbeers,

These seem pricey, But not sure what your budget is.

Fuel Filler Necks & Gas Tank Pipes | Filler Neck Supply Co.

Mark K

Old 04-08-2012, 07:03 AM

Thanks for the link. I'm more worried about transportation than price in fact I would pay a big premium to get it today. She can't get to school without it and school cost me 8K ouch.

I'm going to try and rig up a temporary solution while getting a part and may resort to a combination of any hose and plumbing fixtures. Good grief charlie brown. What engineer would have two different size couplings for one hose. I wonder if a guy could use Rad hose as a temporary fix.

Note to self...bankers are better in the office and should stay away from fuel systems and tools.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:36 AM

Ok. another note to self (I'm a putz). I measured the dimensions of the fittings and hose. The tank fitting is 1 1/4 inches and the fuel neck filler is 1" I then measured the outer 1" hose and as luck would have it is 1 and 1/4"

I properly cut the frayed edges off the existing hose and have concluded all i need to find is 8" of hose with inner dimension of 1 and 1/4 " filler hose and a couple of clamps.

Soo.... the only advice I need before rapping my knuckles again is .....what are the best practices for getting the tube over the fitting? Silicone, oil, grease?

Old 04-08-2012, 09:40 AM
Starting Member

Use petroleum jelly.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:45 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by rvanbeers
Ok. another note to self (I'm a putz). I measured the dimensions of the fittings and hose. The tank fitting is 1 1/4 inches and the fuel neck filler is 1" I then measured the outer 1" hose and as luck would have it is 1 and 1/4"

I properly cut the frayed edges off the existing hose and have concluded all i need to find is 8" of hose with inner dimension of 1 and 1/4 " filler hose and a couple of clamps.

Soo.... the only advice I need before rapping my knuckles again is .....what are the best practices for getting the tube over the fitting? Silicone, oil, grease?
Silicone plumbers grease {lowes, HD}, or dielectric grease if you already have it. Understand just because inner lining is fuel resistant does not mean outer is. In fact, usually is not; why you cant use regular fuel line inside a tank.. the silicone will help keep it from degrading so fast. Should last a couple years before it softens too much,
- do not buy silicone grease at Ace hdw... nasty sticky stuff!!!

Last edited by pettyfog; 04-08-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filler Hose Help 2001 Blazer