2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel Filter Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 02:14 PM
chrisjensenjr is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Filter Stuck

Upon attempting to change the fuel filter, I was not able to remove the filter from the rear fuel line. It is old, and very stuck. I tried spraying some penetrating oil but still nothing. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? I don't want to damage the fuel lines.
BACKGROUND: I have a '99 chevy blazer with 197K. I bought it with 97k on it and the fuel filter has not been replaced since I owned it. I relieved the pressure at the port behind the throttle body and was able to get the quick connect off without a problem. But the connection from the fuel line to the back of the filter is absolutely stuck.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Old 10-11-2012, 02:42 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

I just faced the same problem on my Jimmy,I tryed every kind of penetrating oil thats made,used line wrenches and still couldnt get them to budge.I finaly just cut the lines and flared the ends.Then got some rubber fuel line and spliced in an inline fuel filter.It was alot easier than fighting rusted,corroded fittings that wouldnt budge.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:01 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 1sttimejimmyowner
I just faced the same problem on my Jimmy,I tryed every kind of penetrating oil thats made,used line wrenches and still couldnt get them to budge.I finaly just cut the lines and flared the ends.Then got some rubber fuel line and spliced in an inline fuel filter.It was alot easier than fighting rusted,corroded fittings that wouldnt budge.
Like it. Thanks

Old 10-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Cut the steel line with a tubing cutter and use this: Buy Dorman - OE Solutions Steel Fuel Line Repair Kit 3/8 Inch x 18 Inch with 16mm Fitting 800-153 at Advance Auto Parts When you put it back together, use antiseize on the flare nut threads

Old 10-11-2012, 06:16 PM
Starting Member
nunya is on a distinguished road

pair of these gets most really stubborn ones loose for me.
Name:  post-visegrips.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  36.2 KB
Irwin who now owns Vise Grip brand just calles them "Locking wrenches" no fancy name. that plus some lube and I've gotten tons of rounded off and put on by Shrek using a breaker bar line fittings.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Question Nunya

who sells that tool?

Old 10-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Starting Member
nunya is on a distinguished road

I would assume any auto parts store (and just looked on pep boys site and they are 16 bucks and in stock at my local one for Irwin brand), I got my set from a tool truck years ago though.. Mine are far from as pretty as the ones in the pic

Old 10-14-2012, 09:58 AM
chrisjensenjr is on a distinguished road

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys! I bought a fuel line repair kit and will be installing it and replacing the filter today. Thanks again for all the help!

Old 10-14-2012, 04:39 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

What suprises me is that NO ONE changes these filters! UhUH! Once a year anyway!

Old 10-14-2012, 05:02 PM
Cool yeah I know what you meen.

Seems like every used vehicle I have purchased noone has changed the filter.Then they wonder why their truck or car doesnt run peoperly.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Stuck