2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel filter will not budge from bracket

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012 | 03:03 PM
|
xtrmblazn01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Fuel filter will not budge from bracket

I have a 2001 Extreme Blazer (2WD Blazer) and was replacing the fuel filter yesterday. I figured it would be an easy 45 minute job, at most. However, I have spent the past day and a half trying to get the fuel filter out of the bracket. I have tried a little bit of everything to get this filter out and no luck. I am getting frustrated with this! Any suggestions would be quite helpful, especially if you have run into this type of problem before. To add, I see that it could be helpful for me to take the bracket completely off then try to work the filter out of the bracket. With this though, the top of the bracket is connected to three lines (one of them I know is a fuel line) that I am having trouble detaching from the bracket and I DO NOT want to break the lines (they are metal). Thanks for any help!

Old 01-07-2012 | 03:10 PM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

Try WD40 or some pb blaster or any kinda of penetrating oil. Use a wrench on the filter and try to turn it holding the bracket with a channel-locks pliers. Eventually it will turn in bracket just keep turning back and forth back and forth.

Old 01-07-2012 | 03:34 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

I would not use channel locks but 2 wrenches should do

you might wanna soak them like tmm217 said

Id soak them a day before then try the next day

Old 01-07-2012 | 05:20 PM
|
xtrmblazn01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice. I finally did get off the old filter, but now having difficulties getting the new one on. I am not a fan of this bracket. So far, I got the filter into the bracket, but it will not budge through to fit in the right spot. I can't even take the filter out because the bracket is now loose since I had to take the bolt out to move the bracket to insert the filter. Engineers anger me sometimes.

Old 01-07-2012 | 07:26 PM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

yeah was gonna mention to oil the outside of the filter or spray it with lube to ease with the install.

Old 01-09-2012 | 04:39 PM
spittybays

I got mad and just cut mine with my multi-tool. So stupid to make something that should be changed so tough. I bet thats the reason for half the crapped-out fuel pumps.

Old 01-09-2012 | 10:36 PM
Starting Member
darknight is on a distinguished road

I too learned the hard way when I did my tune up last may... After hours of fighting with that thing I called a family member of mine who's a local grease monkey. And he told me that there was a bolt above the braket that the filter sits in if u losen it the braket will open up and release the filter.... Work smart nt hard... Hope this helps..

Old 03-28-2012 | 05:42 PM
Beginning Member
Flyfishen is on a distinguished road

Once you get it off, file down the inside of the bracket so that it makes your yearly maintenance easier when changing the filter next time.

Old 03-28-2012 | 07:02 PM
mrkevinmjr is on a distinguished road

yep ... only way is to soak it spin it and push while spinning... dont forget to curse and not smoke...

Old 03-28-2012 | 07:09 PM
Starting Member
wjtaylor is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem 3 days ago and it too took me a while. But yes there is a bolt that needs to be removed where the bracket attaches to the frame. Some can be removed with a flat head but i had to use a socket attachment. The plastic frame securing the fuel lines does have decent flexibility so i removed the line furthest away from the frame first by prying a flat head between two lines at the bracket from the bottom and applied pressure. once they pop off they easily pop back into place

Quick Reply: Fuel filter will not budge from bracket