2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel Guage trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 06:50 AM
Beginning Member
Bonsee is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Guage trouble

My fuel guage isn't measuring my fuel level, stuck on empty.

All my other guages are working. once caught it go up to about half a tank, and then receed back to empty. Any ideas?

Old 08-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Beginning Member
gmcinister is on a distinguished road

its probabally your fuel level sending unit. i dont know what year u have but if its a 90s s10 your fuel pump and the sending unit is all one piece. is the pump really loud?

Old 08-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gmcinister
its probabally your fuel level sending unit. i dont know what year u have but if its a 90s s10 your fuel pump and the sending unit is all one piece. is the pump really loud?
This is incorrect my '94, my son's '91 blazer as well as the '93 bravada I just picked up for my daughter the fuel pump and sending unit are separate units but can be purchased as a kit containing both . . . perhaps late 90's (2nd gen) is what you meant?
I don't know what those are like as I think that body style is just ewww . . . personal preference there no offense intended to the 2nd gen owners on here.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:03 PM
Beginning Member

It's a '97 LS

Old 08-19-2010, 07:38 AM
Banned
kickme005 is on a distinguished road

replace ur sending unit and ur problem should be fixed. Replacing ur fuel ending unit should fix ur gauge if it floating. Floating or anyhting wiht fuel gauge is a common problem with these suv.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks Kickme, any chance anyone knows how to do that?

Old 08-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Over simplified method: Drop the tank, pull the fuel pump assembly, replace the sending unit.

Unlike kick, I would diagnose the issue first. GM sending units are 0 to 90 ohms from full to empty. If you were to ground out the purple wire at the sender, it should cause the gauge to read full. If you disconnect the wire, it should read empty. Your truck has a fuel level buffer unit that could also be at fault. While I do agree that the sending unit is likely the problem, it pays to check out everything before going through the time/effort/expense of replacing a component without first verifying it is the cause of the issue.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:48 PM
Beginning Member

You're absolutely right Swartikk...

But I'm pretty green when it comes to car work, so I wouldnt even know how to do that...

Old 08-19-2010, 07:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, ask questions if you want to try to do it yourself. That's what we're here for. But we can't jump through your computer screen and do it for you.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:57 PM
Beginning Member

Man, I wish you could!

Ok, where would you start?

Quick Reply: Fuel Guage trouble