2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel Needle Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 09:52 PM
DieselHorseLEO is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Needle Issue

The fuel needle in my wife's 98 Blazer is completely out of the normal E to F range and is pointing downwards. It has been sitting for a while and I noticed this when I had to jump it off to move it the other day. I'm trying to figure out what may be the cause of this. I hope my explanation is clear enough. I was going to try and draw what I'm talking about in paint, but I decided not to as it looks like something a baby drew. Thanks for any help/info that you guys can provide.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:29 AM
Starting Member
Blazer_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DieselHorseLEO
The fuel needle in my wife's 98 Blazer is completely out of the normal E to F range and is pointing downwards. It has been sitting for a while and I noticed this when I had to jump it off to move it the other day. I'm trying to figure out what may be the cause of this. I hope my explanation is clear enough. I was going to try and draw what I'm talking about in paint, but I decided not to as it looks like something a baby drew. Thanks for any help/info that you guys can provide.
"but I decided not to as it looks like something a baby drew" lol, now that's funny.
So anyhow... Second Gen Blazers have a notorious reputation of having an erratic fuel gauge. The gas gauge can fluctuate from full to empty and then anywhere in between when the sending unit that is incorporated with the fuel pump (located in the top of the fuel tank) starts to get worn.
I had the same issue with mine until I had a fuel pump failure and was forced to change the fuel pump. The gauge has worked well ever since. It's highly recommended throughout the BF site "members" that you should only use an ACDelco / Delphi fuel pump if you want any longevity out of the replacement pump and fuel gauge sending unit.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:48 AM
DieselHorseLEO is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Blazer_4x4
"but I decided not to as it looks like something a baby drew" lol, now that's funny.
So anyhow... Second Gen Blazers have a notorious reputation of having an erratic fuel gauge. The gas gauge can fluctuate from full to empty and then anywhere in between when the sending unit that is incorporated with the fuel pump (located in the top of the fuel tank) starts to get worn.
I had the same issue with mine until I had a fuel pump failure and was forced to change the fuel pump. The gauge has worked well ever since. It's highly recommended throughout the BF site "members" that you should only use an ACDelco / Delphi fuel pump if you want any longevity out of the replacement pump and fuel gauge sending unit.
I appreciate the reply. I kept reading about the erratic fuel needle, but I didn't know if that included the way the fuel needle on ours is completely turned over so its pointing down towards the bottom of the car or not. At least the fuel pump assembly isn't expensive. I just need to see if I can do it myself I guess.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:51 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

As far as I know, if the sender is shorted to ground or open the needle would either point at Full or Empty all the time, never straight down. Sounds like the gauge itself has failed or there is voltage on the sender wire that should not be there.... as in two wires have shorted.

Pull the gauges fuse; any difference?