2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel Pressure Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Beginning Member
Crazyc775 is on a distinguished road

So removal of the distributor is not as simple as pulling it off and ligning the other one up identical to the way the original came off. Ugghhh. I just hate spending the money for mechanics to do it!!!

thanks

Old 06-20-2012, 05:22 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If you follow the instructions in the link, exactly as written, you won't have a problem. They are straight from the shop manual.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:14 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

Its really not as bad as it sounds. Think of it as a bunch of mini jobs to do the one big job lol.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:03 PM
Beginning Member
Default a different problem all together????

Befor eI get into the distributor, I wasnted to have some clarification if possible. With everything that had been replaced on the truck, I had only cleaned the MAF. Tonight, I wanted to check the intake for a leak, so I smoked it (make shift with a hose and cigar into intake). Looked like no leak, but then I wanted to check the MAF. I unplugged and started the car and it seemed to actually run a hair smoother. Plugged back in and saw no real difference. unplugged while it was running and it idled down and then continued to run with no real evidence of a change. Funny thing is during this whole ordeal, a CEL never came on.

Also, took the truck for a ride and seemed to have a little more pep in it's step, but not 100%

Any thoughts on this? Bad MAF?

Thanks

Old 06-22-2012, 12:06 AM

Definetly sounds bad. Usually if you unplug it and it runs better it needs cleaned. What did you use to clean it?

Old 06-22-2012, 07:16 AM
Beginning Member

So drove to work this am, truck had a CEL and drove it unplugged about 25 miles. Seemed to have a bit more pep, but no huge improvement in the idle or anything....however not worse either. I have noticed that while drive, i will go to give it gas and it seems like the truck gets restricted...cheked out and the RPM goes down. The pedal can move a 1/4-1/2 inch before i get a response sometimes, but it is not all the time. TPS is new.

Like i said before...new cap and rotor. BWD, not Delco....think that is also playing a role? Should i change MAF? Any test i can do?

Thanks

Old 06-22-2012, 12:37 PM

There may be a voltage test for the MAF I'm not sure, electrical is not my strong point. Typically the test for the maf is just to unplug it and see if it runs better. If it does then clean it. At this point I would take it to a shop and have them check the camshaft retard. Unless you know someone with a capable scan tool.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Beginning Member
Default Update

Ok, so I ran the truck all day with the MAF unplugged. I then also changed the cap and rotor to an ACDelco. Seems that the truck has more response on the pedal, but I also plugged the MAF back in and it still feels like it is restricted, bogged down or whatever. I drove it and 1-2 shift was fine, but then it feels like it loses power....like there is a restriction and something is holding it back. It feels like it gets choked out and cannot go.

Ever have a weed wacker that if you give it too much throttle it bogs down and wants to stall? that is what the truck feels like.....bogged down.

Are we still thinking the MAF?

Thanks

Old 06-22-2012, 09:38 PM

Have you had your exhaust pressure tested yet? Could be a plugged cat as well.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:50 AM
Beginning Member
Default on the list

No, not yet....I plan on getting there, but this week has been H.E. double hockey sticks!!!

Before MAF is done I will get that checked first.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure Problems?