2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel Pressure Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 10:17 PM
Beginning Member
Crazyc775 is on a distinguished road

Haven't done the exhaust pressure test yet, but if I need to replace the MAF is there a preference for new over remanufactured? I am looking to get out of this as inexpensively as possible.

thanks

Old 06-24-2012, 11:16 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

I have found that most reman' parts are kind of hit and miss. If you do get one try to find the one the has the longest warranty. You may also want to try to go to the local pick and pull and try that. Chances are it will work, good enough for a test at least. Just clean the wire before hand with some crc maf spray. Don't actually make physical contact with the wire!

Old 06-26-2012, 05:20 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the info 50lb_cat....

I have two quick questions for you guys....in regards to the problems I have been having.

Could a low charging electrical system cause some of these issues?

Also, I changed out my air cleaner to a K&N reusable....is it possible too much air is getting in and the MAF is outside and limits causing the computer to not be able to compensate?

Just some thoughts I had.

Please let me know.

Thanks

Also, I was wondering....could a dying battery have any affect? My cranking amps were 544 for a recommended 650 and the battery voltage itsel was only at 12.5V

Could this affect idle and drivability? Too much load or draw for the altenator affecting power of truck?. Just a thought.

Thanks

Old 06-26-2012, 12:46 PM

The oil in the k and n air filter probably messed up the maf sensor. That is why I use an aem dryflow. Do you still have the stock filter? You may want to try and clean the maf again and install the stock filter to see if it helps.
I have never experienced drivability problems when the battery is going out but it is logical that it may happen. You can go to autozone and have them test the alt for free.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Beginning Member

So the story continues as follows:

I took out the K&N filter and replaced with a stock filter. I then removed the MAF and cleaned it. Noticed a considerable difference in the driving and performance. That lasted 2-3 days. Now it is right back to the way it was. I have not yet done the exhaust pressure test, but will get to that.

My plan is to remove the MAF again and clean it again....see what happens. If it is the same cycle of OK to problems again, I will assume that the sensor is bad.

I do notice however when it is running like crap that the truck feels as though it has a sputter or a misfire (very minor)

Also, can some one confirn....I thought I read that the AC can affect idle and drivability....Is this true? I did notice that the compressor has started to make noise when the AC is on.

One final thing....how come the oil pressure will run 20-40 some times, but then I look and it will be in the 40-60 range? Is this normal? or should I watch numbers to see if they corolate with the problem I am having?

Thanks

Old 07-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Beginning Member

Performed a leak down test, so I know it is not my fuel pumo or spiders.

Hoping to get to muffler shop tomorrow for exhaust pressure test.

Cleaned MAF again and some very minor improvement, but not much. Anything I can do to confirm this? Should I unplug again and see what happens? What should happen ?

I am sort of at a stand still because I do not want to throw any more wasted money into this.

any thoughts on the questions from my previous message?

power just seems to not be there all the time. also, when I am highway speed I get an occasional "skip" like it missed of the feeling like the fuel is runnning out but very minor....but all those components have been replaced so I really have no clue!!

HELP!!

Thanks

Old 07-01-2012, 06:27 PM

Ok, when was the last time you did a tune up and what brand did you use? You can try to unplug the MAF, it should run better if the sensor is bad or dirty.

Its normal for the oil pressure to fluctuate. On a cold start I run about 60 then after warming up and I'm at idle it will be 20.

Yes the ac will have decrease the performance of the engine. When I run mine full blast it feels like a slug lol.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:34 PM
Beginning Member

Tune up was within the last 6 mos.

Delco parts for the plugs, cap, rotor. Not sure on the wires.

Fuel filter was done a month ago.

You by chance do not think it could be a tranny thing do you? It just seems I cannot get to the bottom of this damn thing!

Old 07-03-2012, 01:01 AM

Definetly doesn't sound like a tranny issue. Another thing you can have a shop check ( unless you know someone with a capable scan tool) is the camshaft retard and ignition advance. The bushings in the distributor may be worn out.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the continued support and help. Although I am going to try and check the exhaust pressure and the Camshaft retard/ignition advance, I think the MAF sensor is bad. I unplugged it and although not perfect, it has a noticeable difference in response and performance.

that being said, I looked online and found that Rockauto has an ACDelco MAF kit, but the style is different than that of the OEM....it is a plastic tube with the MAF that inserts into a whole, rather than the OEM style sandwich sensor. Anyone familiar with these and is it an acceptable replacement or should I go OEM style?

I was going to replace the whole thing because one of the hex bolts on mine was frozen and needed to be drilled out and I ended up with some pretty ugly out of round holes and multiple, uneven passes. I am sure this won't make a huge difference, but I figured just replace the whole thing unless you have other thoughts??

Thanks (as always)

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure Problems?