2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 03:17 PM
tab518 is on a distinguished road
Default fuel pump?

im not sure if my fuel pump is bad or not it is making kind of a grinding noise when you turn the key on. it all started with the relay, a wire came out and i got back in but now it wont start i towed it home and when i got there i tried to start it and it fired up. but after you shut it off it wont start.the next day i tried and it started and i drve it about 75 miles got in my driveway and shut it off and now it wont start again. any suggestions?

Old 08-29-2011, 03:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Do you hear the pump run when it won't start? If so, you may have a fuel leak like so many other CPI engines have suffered. The FPR (fuel pressure regulator) on the CPI engines is known for failure as is the internal nylon fuel lines that run to the CPI spider. A little less common, but still up there is a failure at the electrical connector to the fuel injector inside the intake manifold which has driven a few members batty.

Next time it won't start, pull a plug and see if they are wet with fuel. Too much fuel could indicate a leak inside the plenum to which a fuel pressure & leak down test would confirm. A dry plug would indicate a possible injector issue.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:04 PM

i hear it run but it dont sound right,it sounds very weak.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Is that only when it has a problem starting or all the time?

Have you tested the pressure both when it has cooled down to where it will start and when it doesn't start?

Old 08-29-2011, 04:32 PM

right now it wont start at all. im not totally sure how to test

Old 08-30-2011, 12:03 AM
Administrator

Step 1) get a fuel pressure test gauge
Step 2) connect the fuel pressure test gauge to the test port located on the back of the intake manifold near the brake booster.
Step 3) key-on/engine-off while the pump is priming, what is the fuel pressure?
Step 4) leaving the key-on/engine-off, wait 10 minutes while monitoring the fuel pressure. What is the pressure 10 minutes after the pump shuts off?

Old 08-30-2011, 12:56 PM

ok thanks i just tested it and it was around 38psi

Old 08-30-2011, 12:59 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

38 at key on or did it pop to say 60 then fall to 38?

Im guessing its the fuel pump if it was at key on. Replace the pump ONLY with a AC DELCO or Delphi pump. Dont even think about going to autozone,advance etc and buy a airtex etc. you'll be back in it.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:19 PM

it was 38 at key on and that was it

Old 08-30-2011, 01:34 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

yep. pumps bad. time to replace it.

Quick Reply: fuel pump?