2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel pump, or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Starting Member
EzTec is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel pump, or not?

So, a couple days ago, my truck wouldn't start. It would crank like it wants to start, but isn't getting fuel. I noticed that I wasn't getting that magical whine that comes when the key gets put into the ON position, so I took it over to one of my local shops and had them double check. They said it was the fuel pump and it needed to be replaced. Well, I get a new one, slapped it in there, and nothing. No change. Still just cranks without any start, and no whine from the fuel pump. I also checked the fuse block under the hood. It's fine. So, I'm at a loss.

Anyone think of anything?

Old 06-10-2010, 12:17 AM
Beginning Member
marcspector is an unknown quantity at this point

There are some relays in the glovebox, under an access panel that is tough to get out. The far left relay is for the fuel pump if I am remembering correctly. When you turn on your key it should click as the pump primes. If there is no click then that relay is more than likely the problem. Take the relay out and have it tested, or take them all out (3) and get them tested. Cost 9-15 bucks for one.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:11 AM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, It's probably something to do with your relays being bad.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

I would unplug the electrical lead at the fuel pump and (the four wire lead) and see if the two 'hot' wires have 'juice' key on. One will have 12v for 2 seconds as/when you turn the key to the on position-the other lead is I think 6v constant for the gas gauge-anywho-the 12 v, is the important one cause in your case...if you have 12v here for 2 seconds-key on, your issue is from here to the tank( pump). If no 12 v move forward(as in more geographically forward in your vehicle)-keep us advised. Jerry

Old 06-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Starting Member

I'm looking for the access panel behind the glove box, but can't seem to find it. It's on the left side behind the glove box?

Edit: I don't see the access panel. I have a 2000, and I know that the '97 has that panel, don't know about the '00. I did find out though, that under the hood in the fuse box there, there are two fuses associated with the fuel pump. One is labeled specifically for the fuel pump, but another is labeled ECM B. I've checked them both, and they are both good.

Last edited by EzTec; 06-10-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:08 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

as I said.............................................. .....jerry ps no access panel on a 2000 but good luck finding it!

Old 06-10-2010, 06:54 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

Your pump relay is in the underhood fusebox. Have a buddy turn the key on and see if you can feel it click.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Beginning Member
marcspector is an unknown quantity at this point

So in my ignorance, I did not realize there was not a glovebox relay access in later year blazers. Learn something new everyday.

You said you installed a new fuel pump, yourself I am assuming. Did the new fuel pump come with a new harness that you had to splice in. I know when I did mine I had a new design for the fuel pump harness and had to splice into the old wires. Eventually the connections I made got eaten apart from the huge amount of salt used on the streets here and the pump would not run. So if you did have to splice into the wiring check and make sure all wires are spliced to the correct wires on the old harness. And be sure the connections are good and solid.

If you did not have to replace the old harness with a new one, disregard this post.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Starting Member

The fuel pump came out of a junk yard Blazer, so, it was just drop in, plug in and go. I will check the relay to see if it gets a click to it.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:32 AM
Starting Member

Fixed it. Got to the junkyard to get the pump replaced with a good one. They tested the one I got, it tested fine. So, came back home, and decided to test the plug with a light-up tester and it's getting juice to it. So, I cleaned off the contacts, plugged it in, and it ran like a champ. So, finally got it fixed. Now I need to figure out why my gas gauge is going nuts.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump, or not?