2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel pump q's

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 08:32 AM
Starting Member
Smoked is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel pump q's

Do different fuel pumps read the fuel levels differently? With my old pump...an airtex as I found out it would start moving from the full mark within about 30kms. I typically got a bit over 200kms before the halfway point and anywhere from 375 to 475 by the time the low fuel light came on(if i left it that far which wasn't often). The most i ever put in the tank was 61 litres and its' supposed to be a 70 liter tank..

With the new pump, the guage doesn't move until about 120kms and i have passed 300kms and am not yet at the halfway point.

Should it not be the same? I know i'm not suddenly getting amazing fuel economy

Old 04-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

They should be similar, but they may not read the same. If you fill up now, how much fuel do you put in?

Old 04-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
They should be similar, but they may not read the same. If you fill up now, how much fuel do you put in?
I haven't gone past 350 kms before my last fillup because i dont' trust the guage

Old 04-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Even so, how much fuel did you put in after driving 350km?

Old 04-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Even so, how much fuel did you put in after driving 350km?
I can't remember...40liters or so maybe.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Starting Member

Okay so the guage is definitely reading wrong. I drove about 408 kms and it was reading just under a half tank when i started stalling repeatedly. After several times the engine would start but then fuel pressure dropped instantly to 40 and the motor died.

I got towed home thinking the pump was just overall defective(keep in mind this pump is brand new last week)... the next day after it sat overnight i put some gas in and it started up and fuel pressure stayed at 52 while it ran for 20 mins before i turned it off confused.

I think the pump is bad..it certainly doesn't read accurately but i'm wondering if the stalling was totally due to being out of gas, or if it started up fine the next day because it had a chance to cool down...and therefore that it was bad and not starving for fuel.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Administrator

I would see how much fuel it takes to fill it. If you dump in 5 gallons and drive to the nearest gas station and fill it up, you should be able to tell if you were empty or not.

It would suck to have to drop the tank again just for a defective fuel level sending unit, but it should work properly.