2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel pump recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 07:31 AM
Starting Member
midnightmekanik is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel pump recommendations?

As per my other thread, I'm in need to get a fuel pump.

Now I have read many threads here regarding pumps, and the the general favourable choice is either AC Delco, or Delphi pumps. I have an option of buying either, the Delphi pump cost $40 more, but honestly, at the price they are going for, $40 is like pennies lol

So my question is, do I just get the Delco pump? Or do I pay the little extra for the Delphi? Both seem like good pumps. Both of them come with the whole assembly (pump, pump chassis and sending unit), they both come with a new pigtail wiring harness, and o-rings. So, essentially they are the exact same package. I would just like to know which one has worked out better for people here.

Also, when I get the old pump out, I am going to save the chassis and conjure up something that I can solely use an inline pump. Seems like these things fail way too often to not try something a little more practical and easier to change...

Old 06-16-2009, 10:32 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I would go with the AC/Delco pump. I doubt that their failure rate is any higher than other OEM pumps. The main reason they fail is probably due to drivers letting the fuel level get below 1/4 tank on a regular basis causing the pump to overheat. Periodic use of Techron Concentrate Plus in the tank will also help prevent sulfur compound build-up on the sending unit which causes it to malfunction.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you can find the AC/Delco cheaper, go with it.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:39 PM
Starting Member

Yep, just ordered up the AC Delco pump. Only hitch is it wasn't in stock, so it may take a week and a bit to get here. Oh well, leaves me plenty of time to tackle any other odds and ends I may need to address. I'll wait for it though. Ended up being $340 CAD shipped, that's for the whole module sender included!

Old 06-16-2009, 08:42 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by midnightmekanik
Also, when I get the old pump out, I am going to save the chassis and conjure up something that I can solely use an inline pump. Seems like these things fail way too often to not try something a little more practical and easier to change...
You will never get a "puller" or siphon pump to make the same high fuel pressure that an in tank "pusher" style pump does. At least not in a reliable way.
If you maintain the fuel filter and don't run the gas level at less than a quarter tank then the pump should last quite a long time. (The pump is cooled by the gas it is submersed in)

Old 06-17-2009, 07:59 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by bandidolenny
You will never get a "puller" or siphon pump to make the same high fuel pressure that an in tank "pusher" style pump does. At least not in a reliable way.
If you maintain the fuel filter and don't run the gas level at less than a quarter tank then the pump should last quite a long time. (The pump is cooled by the gas it is submersed in)
Well then, the pump I have in my z24 the past 5 years must be a freak of engineering... I have a Walbro 255LPH inline on it, installed over 5 years ago when the original pump failed miserably. What I did have to replace was the FPR because it started to leak. At the Schrader valve it didn't fuss at putting 65psi into the system. Would I get a generic inline, heck no, but a Walbro I would most certainly try out. They go for ~$150 brand new, and if you mount them in a nice spot take all of 10 minutes to replace if need be. I will only replace the in-tank once, after that the truck gets an inline. Now, don't get me wrong, I will try everything in my power to keep the intank functional as long as possible, but I will most certainly not replace a failed in-tank pump with another flawed in-tank pump. It just doesn't make sense to me... The only reason I'm doing it this time is because the sending unit is pooched too.

But hey, I like working on cars, and I like thinking up new and original things to do, so when that time comes, I will definetly try it out...

Last edited by midnightmekanik; 06-17-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:41 PM

So you've been tinkering with this eh?..cool. Keep in mind that the fuel requirement of your 4.3 will be beyond the capabilities of the standard 255 pump so you will need to use the 255HP pump.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:05 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

"Running the tank low on fuel will overheat the pump" is a myth, it's not true. The return fuel line connects to the fuel pump module. The fuel travels through one of the spring loaded tubes and empties into the well that the pump is mounted in. If the engine is running, the pump is being cooled. Next time you take a pump out, check it out

Old 06-17-2009, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
"Running the tank low on fuel will overheat the pump" is a myth, it's not true. The return fuel line connects to the fuel pump module. The fuel travels through one of the spring loaded tubes and empties into the well that the pump is mounted in. If the engine is running, the pump is being cooled. Next time you take a pump out, check it out
I have replaced many of these pumps over the years and am very familiar with them... Believe me, running the tank low will shorten the life of the unit.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:33 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by bandidolenny
So you've been tinkering with this eh?..cool. Keep in mind that the fuel requirement of your 4.3 will be beyond the capabilities of the standard 255 pump so you will need to use the 255HP pump.
Oh I have my eye on a certain Walbro pump already... I honestly do think that the standard 255 will keep up to the stock 4.3, but I haven't really crunched the numbers yet... Just at a glance I've researched that the 4.3 on moderate throttle can use up to 45L/hr at ~55psi... Doesn't seem like that much of a task for a regular 255, but I'll find out for sure...

Quick Reply: Fuel pump recommendations?