2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel pump relay on '95

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 02:32 AM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel pump relay on '95

Howdy,
Some of You may remember I have another '95 Blazer of a friend. I've went a painful route from a dead (sized) battery, not working starter, improper plugs, damaged plug wires and the loose distributor cover....
For now, the car is cranking and I got a spark, but the plugs are bone dry. I guess it's the fuel pump.
I doubt if dropping the tank without having the car hoisted is possible, so I wanted to check if the fuel pump is getting the power and to measure the load (resistance) on the power lines. Oh, yes, this setup does not have a fuel port to test the pressure. Neither a relay box - the relays are here and there.
I've been browsing the Internet to find out a wiring diagram and locate the fuel pump relay. What I found pointed me to a middle relay into the gloves box, but it turned out t be a horn relay. I checked the other two with ammeter, they do not seem to be taking any current (one gets 0,05A, so call it nothing) and I don't know what devices do they control.

So, as far as I am not sure which relay is the fuel pump one, I cannot 100% tell the pump is dead. Could someone help me finding the fuel pump relay? Blazer seem to be built in '95 but has some of '96 stock parts (like a horizontal distributor).
Brgds, Mike

Old 07-22-2018, 07:51 AM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

I know that 95 was sort of an oddball year for many of the electronics. Some of them stayed the same through 97 though.

On the 97 I had, there were 3 relays in the glove box also.

I forget the order of them, but they were:
-fuel pump
-blower motor
-horn

I know this doesn't answer your question, but perhaps you could use process of elimination with that information to find the correct relay.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by chevyriders
I know that 95 was sort of an oddball year for many of the electronics. Some of them stayed the same through 97 though.

On the 97 I had, there were 3 relays in the glove box also.

I forget the order of them, but they were:
-fuel pump
-blower motor
-horn

I know this doesn't answer your question, but perhaps you could use process of elimination with that information to find the correct relay.
Thanks, that is an useful info.
The horn one I have already confirmed.
Blower one should be easy to find out - a power for coil is going be present whenever a blower is requested from a dash switch.
The 3rd one is the fuel pump.
Sadly that leads me to a conclusion of a dead fuel pump, and I still haven't figured out how to extract the fuel tank w/o hoist. And to be honest, this exact car is unbelievable neglected, I can hardly force myself to work on it. A true energy vampire thing.

As a side note - a 2" body lift seems to solve many problems with an access to pretty everything. In my own ride I can easily reach the connectors and plugs at top of the tank. They could produce such ones at almost no additional costs.
Cheers, Mike

Old 07-23-2018, 03:59 AM

Neither one of them is for blower in my case. I took all three out of the sockets and the blower is still running.
I've installed the right one - it remains energized, whenever I turn the key forward to ignition.
The left one gets energized when I turn to ignition, but falls off after a few second.

I'd say left one might be fuel pump primer, right one fuel pump regular supply. It seems I may need to pull the fuel tank out to figure out. Just (...) lovely.