2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 08:37 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

X2 on the pics... Fuel pump assemblies are typically held in with a locking ring which you just use a screw driver and a hammer to rotate the ring to unlock it, not a snap ring.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:05 AM
Beginning Member
joerum is on a distinguished road

hey duno if i'm to late but i do remember seeing acdelco fuel pumps on ebay! and i do believe they weren't to expensive either! just thought i'd through that out there to try and help you save some cash! only thing is that i don't think they have any kind of warranty but i'd check it out if you want to save some cash....

Old 04-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Beginning Member
returnofsid is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, it's a crappy picture, from my cell phone, at night...lol. But here it is. I have confirmed that it is a snap ring. I'll try for a better pic in the "light of day" today.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3572/...02e4570a_o.jpg

Old 04-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Beginning Member

Well, today, I didn't make much progress. I did, but then ended up taking a few steps backwards. Maybe you all can help. At the front of the fuel tank, opposite end as the fuel pump, there is a plastic fitting, to which a rubber non-pressurized fuel line hooks to. Can anyone tell me what that plastic fitting is called AND the purpose of it? Here's why!!!

I am doing this by myself. As I was re-installing the fuel pump, I had it on a floor jack, with the front end of the tank in place. As I was raising the back end, the floor jack rolled and the front end fell out. The plastic fitting I am asking about broke!! Soo, I need to replace that. I have no idea what it's called, what it's purpose is OR how it even comes out. Grrrr

My luck, it's a dealer only item and will take 2 weeks to get!! HELP PLEASE!!!

Last edited by returnofsid; 04-03-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:56 PM
Beginning Member

Aha, found it, on Blazerforum.com of course...lol. Sure couldn't find any information anywhere else!! Blazerforum ROCKS!! Fuel Tank Vent Valve. Off to the dealer in the morning...lol.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:24 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Thats rough...I warned ya about the front vent valve! Too bad you had jack issues...you made it so far without damaging it

Hopefully the dealers got it

Old 04-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Beginning Member

Was able to find the Fuel Tank Vent Valve at a wrecking yard for $8.00. Finally finished this horrendous project about an hour ago!!! Oh and I only had 4 bolts left over when I finished!!! LOL

Thank you all for your help and advice!!!

Old 04-05-2009, 01:52 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Woo! Good thing you got it down for cheap!

Old 04-23-2009, 08:30 PM
hoosierhilljack is on a distinguished road
Post 1997 fuel tank drop and fuel pump replacement

I have started the process of replacing my fuel tank today. I always give what a tech would call 3X the time for labor. So tomorrow I tackle the drop of the tank. I have a Haynes that does a pretty good job of step-by-step, but it never fails, when I have a question, sometimes no reference. So thank you Google! I found this forum, and signed up today. I appreciate the info I have got so far, and wish that I had read a little here first. But, if I made the mistake of buying an off brand replacement, then I guess I will know soon enough. I will try to post some pictures if I get the chance during my knuckle bustin.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:36 PM
Beginning Member

hoosierhilljack, just watch out for that Fuel Tank Vent Valve that's at the front end of the tank. Neither my Chiltons or Haynes even commented on it. If you don't unhook it, before lowering the tank, it'll snap that vent valve. It's hidden and on the opposite end of the rest of the hoses and electrical connections.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump replacement