2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel Pump sending unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 06:02 PM
Beginning Member
nortonbk is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Pump sending unit

I have a 2000 Blazer and the fuel gauge does not work correctly. After reading here I see the problem is most likely in the sending unit. Do I need any special tools to replace the sending unit/fuel pump? Also Are there any good how to's that show the steps involved?

Old 04-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Beginning Member
IT Technician is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by nortonbk
I have a 2000 Blazer and the fuel gauge does not work correctly. After reading here I see the problem is most likely in the sending unit. Do I need any special tools to replace the sending unit/fuel pump? Also Are there any good how to's that show the steps involved?
Just replaced my fuel pump less than 2 weeks ago. Didn't need any special tools to get the job done. Is your blazer a 2 or 4dr? Autozone's website has some free repair info but does't go into great detail.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:53 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

Just be sure to get a delphi/delco pump. The airtex pumps are know for going bad in a short period of time. Go ahead and change the filter too.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:43 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

First thing.. remove as much fuel as possible or drive till you think it's near empty.
Remove one side of filter, attach tubing or drain into can.
There's a single contact socket to left of the FP relay which you can jump to 12v to run the pump
Or you can block the canister line to the vent valve and use shop vac on blow with rag tightly wrapped around nozzle in filler to force gas out.

REMOVE THE FRONT TANK VENT TUBE after draining and before loosening straps.

Here's a slightly scrambled detail on what I went through and how I fixed the vent tube when I screwed up.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...s-fixed-63397/

Old 04-19-2012, 06:34 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by IT Technician
Just replaced my fuel pump less than 2 weeks ago. Didn't need any special tools to get the job done. Is your blazer a 2 or 4dr? Autozone's website has some free repair info but does't go into great detail.
Thanks for the Autozoe tip I have a 2 door.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by 50lb_cat
Just be sure to get a delphi/delco pump. The airtex pumps are know for going bad in a short period of time. Go ahead and change the filter too.

Well the pump is working OK so I think I will just replace the sending unit.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by pettyfog
First thing.. remove as much fuel as possible or drive till you think it's near empty.
Remove one side of filter, attach tubing or drain into can.
There's a single contact socket to left of the FP relay which you can jump to 12v to run the pump
Or you can block the canister line to the vent valve and use shop vac on blow with rag tightly wrapped around nozzle in filler to force gas out.

REMOVE THE FRONT TANK VENT TUBE after draining and before loosening straps.

Here's a slightly scrambled detail on what I went through and how I fixed the vent tube when I screwed up.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...s-fixed-63397/

Great thanks. I give your thread a read.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:37 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I did mine a couple months ago. It was easier than when I replaced the pump on my sis in laws van. Much easier! An empty tank will make your life a lot easier, too. All I used was a floor jack, a couple jack stands and normal hand tools. Nothing fancy needed.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:38 PM
Beginning Member

I had read somewhere I would need one of these.

Kent Moore J-36608 6.2 6.5 Diesel Fuel Tank Unit Wrench | eBay

Old 04-19-2012, 07:07 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by nortonbk
I had read somewhere I would need one of these.

Kent Moore J-36608 6.2 6.5 Diesel Fuel Tank Unit Wrench | eBay

Well, this aint 'somewhere' and you dont. {Why are people always saying 'I read somewhere' and never post the links?}
The lock ring in your car is different than one for a metal tank but the principles of removal are the same.
Read my post.. the link I provided. And believe me that thing is useless in 80% of the cases we'll see on here. You'd have to knock the rust loose first to use it, by that time it's just as easy to tap it around, anyway

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump sending unit