2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel pump and Sending Unit Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009 | 03:37 PM
ineedspeed7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Fuel pump and Sending Unit Trouble

OK...

#3 and #4 were full of gas. I replaced the CPI with the original one. the used one I installed was spuing gas every were.

After a small fire I think all the gas is out of the motor now.

I was able to get the #4 plug out (after braking it), what is the best way to get the new one in?

Thanks.

Old 01-05-2009 | 03:46 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: ineedspeed7
...After a small fire I think all the gas is out of the motor now.
Holy ____! That's one way to get the gas out of the motor, I guess. How did that happen?

Old 01-05-2009 | 03:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What was the problem with the original one that made you replace it? Also, did you replace the internal fuel lines when you replaced the spider? These like to leak after being in use, then disturbed and should not be reused.

Also, installing a used CPI spider is like whipping before you poop... You are just going to have to do it again.

You probably mean the #3 cylinder (center cylinder on the driver side) as this is the most problematic spark plug to get out due to the steering shaft clearance. There are some ideas in the post in the DIY section. Just have a look and let us know if you have any more questions.

Always remember, no open flame anywhere near fuel vapors!! Safety first!!

Old 01-05-2009 | 03:58 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: swartlkk
Also, installing a used CPI spider is like whipping before you poop... You are just going to have to do it again.
Uhh, wiping,maybe, Kyle. Lord, the visual.

Old 01-05-2009 | 04:11 PM
cathys0715 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am the original poster's wife. I am posting for him b/c he's locked out of the house until he agrees not to catch anymore cars on fire

Okay, not really but he is outside working on getting new spark plugs in. I thought I would tell you how the fire started: it happened when he turned the motor over after removing the cylinders (or was he removing the spark plugs?). He said he didn't realize there was so much gas in there when it happened- yeah, I guess not!

Scared me to death. He really is very lucky it wasn't worse! He was doing this in our 1 car, cramped garage that has reaked of fuel for days with all this work!

Anyway, suprisingly the inside engine part of my blazer looks okay. We can't find any fire damage except to the hood liner. He wants to try and start it again...I want to call the fire department and have them on standby!!

Any opinions on if he should continue or not?

Edited to add that he did not replace the inside fuel lines and he replaced our original fuel injector spider thingy because originally he thought that was the problem...then he really tested the fuel pump and decided that was the problem then I think he just decided to replace whatever the heck he could.

Fireboy's wife-who just wants a new car now

Old 01-05-2009 | 04:31 PM
Beginning Member
Fivspeed is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: rriddle3

ORIGINAL: swartlkk
Uhh, wiping,maybe, Kyle. Lord, the visual.
I was wondered what sort of kinky sh*t Swart was into...

Old 01-05-2009 | 07:46 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

Wonder what Kyle 'whips' b-4 he p@*#s? And Kyle...afterwords, do you whip it again? Just kidding! Jerry PS laughing so hard I have to whip my eyes!

Old 01-05-2009 | 10:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Typo of course. Thanks though.

Old 01-06-2009 | 08:51 AM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: cathys0715

Any opinions on if he should continue or not?
I would definitely replace the 'nut kit' - ie the fuel pressure and return lines under the plenum. As Kyle said, they don't like being disturbed. They're nylon and get brittle with time. NAPA has them.

Second, he needs to make sure he's got all the gas out of the engine before he tries to start it again. And I'd have at least a fire extinguisher on hand, just for your own peace of mind.

I'm also wiping the tears out of my eyes after that one, Kyle....great way to start the morning!

Old 01-06-2009 | 09:07 AM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

Disable your spark and fuel. With all spark plugs out, turn engine over several times to expunge any fuel in the cylinders. Safest way that I know of.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump and Sending Unit Trouble