2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel pump stopped working overnight?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 11:43 AM
Starting Member
midnightmekanik is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel pump stopped working overnight?

Drove the truck just fine last night, never had any starting issues, or driveability issues. Went to start it this morning and nothing from the pump. Relay is clicking, swapped them and same result. No fuses blown. Checked the rear grounds, they were ugly, but intact, so redid them anyways to eliminate that as an issue. I tried the pump test wire under the hood, nothing from that either...

Please give me some other suggestions before I have to drop the tank, I literally filled up on the way home last night, and it will be a bear to drop when full.

Thanks.

Sorry, forgot to add, 97 4 Dr blazer 4x4

Old 05-13-2016, 01:54 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I've heard of banging on the tank to see if that'll get the pump to kick on, but it's not a real solution. The 95 - 97 4 door sending units aren't really that hard to get to anyway. On mine I jacked up the rear, removed the spare, put a jack under the tank (with something to disperse the weight of course) took off the mounting straps and lowered it about 8 or 9 inches and got the assembly out. Took maybe 2 hrs doing it for the first time.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:49 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Next step is drop the tank and check for battery voltage on the grey wire at the module connector during the first 2 seconds after ignition is turned to the run position. Black wires must show less than 5 ohms resistance to ground. If both check good, it's pump time. AC Delco or Delphi only.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:38 AM
Starting Member

Yep, tapping the tank got it to fire up once, but nothing after that... Guess its pump time.

Now, I found an ac delco repair kit that just replaces the pump, strainer, and lines, but it says it only fits an OEM assembly. I'm pretty sure its aftermarket in there, considering the pump was changed about 50k kms ago by the PO. It was always noisy, but worked until now.

My question now is will this pump fit in the assembly? Or Am I SOL and have to get a whole new one?

Its a big difference in price. $70 for the repair kit, $300 and up for the whole assembly...

Old 05-14-2016, 06:04 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

scroll down to acdelco or delphi. Dont get any other 1997 CHEVROLET BLAZER 4.3L V6 Fuel Pump | RockAuto

Old 05-14-2016, 08:32 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newguy
scroll down to acdelco or delphi. Dont get any other 1997 CHEVROLET BLAZER 4.3L V6 Fuel Pump | RockAuto
^^^^^THIS^^^^^

The AC Delco pump will come with the updated flat-4 connector to the pump assembly. The factory 2x2 connector has a tendency to overheat and melt.

You'll be out more time and money if the pump only option doesn't work in your sending unit.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:45 PM
Starting Member

So I ended up cutting an access hatch to change the pump. I wasn't fighting with the full tank... Turned out well, it will only take 15 mins to change it again.

I ended up getting an aftermarket pump just because it was next day shipping available and I needed to get the truck up and running.

The pump that failed on me was a delco pump. Only lasted 50k...

Now I have another gremlin to chase. I'm getting a fuel smell under moderate and harder acceleration. No leaks anywhere, so I'm suspecting at the motor. It only smells with the windows open, windows closed, nothing, and no smell outside the truck when idling or parked.

Any suggestions?

Old 05-26-2016, 02:20 PM
Starting Member

Should have added that there are no driveability issues so far, but it seems to be getting worse mileage now. I will confirm the mileage when I fill up tonight. It could be a slightly wonky fuel gauge, but at least this one doesn't crap out when it hits half tank

Old 05-28-2016, 05:54 AM
Starting Member

Found the problem... Turns out I probably buggered up the o ring when installing the fuel pump. Filling up last night and gas was leaking out the top. Just have to re seal it and it should be good to go.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:07 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The O ring that comes with the aftermarket pumps typically don't fit well and they leak. When installing, make sure you lube it with vaseline.