2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

fuel system trouble with my 95 vortech

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 07:57 PM
yoak19 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

ok well i changed out the fuel filter and the fuel presure regulater and changed wires and plugs and also put on new distributer cap. its getting 70 psi at the tester now i dont know were to go next.

sory i forgot to say what it does. it spits and sputters and will not idle longer than fiew minutes without dieing and when you drive it it is worse with the more throttle you give it. it loses power bad

Old 04-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does the fuel pressure hold when the pump shuts off? If not, you likely still have a leak internal to the engine.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:48 PM

not sure my friend tested it for me and i was not there when he did it but il try and find out but if it does hold or drop what would be my problem either way. i also forgot to mention that the truck sat for at least a year and has alot of rust. is it possible that i got rust in gas tank and it is stoped up in the tank

Old 04-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you have fuel pressure in excess of 52 psi while running, it should be fine.

A pressure drop after the pump shuts off indicates that you still have a leak somewhere in the system. An external leak would be pretty obvious. The other two possibilities include in the engine (internal fuel lines or a leak in the injector body itself) or a leaking check valve at the fuel pump assembly.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:06 PM

and this sounds like what my problem is tho
i am going to mess with it all day tomorow. let me ask you this should there be any fuel or anything in the plentum cause there was when i changed the fuel presure regulater

Old 04-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road

do you have a check engine light by any chance? have you checked the fuel injection spider? those are a common problem with the 95's.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:46 PM

no check engine light at all. so would that mean i have a clog or leak cause if it was any bit more sereous i would have a check engine light right? also would it throw any codes if the check engine light is not on

Old 04-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by yoak19
and this sounds like what my problem is tho
i am going to mess with it all day tomorow. let me ask you this should there be any fuel or anything in the plentum cause there was when i changed the fuel presure regulater
There should be no fuel in the plenum. During your FPR replacement, did you remove the CPI spider to make repairs? If so, did you replace the internal fuel lines when you reinstalled the spider?

Originally Posted by yoak19
no check engine light at all. so would that mean i have a clog or leak cause if it was any bit more sereous i would have a check engine light right? also would it throw any codes if the check engine light is not on
The CEL will come on when one or more of the sensors go out of their range of operation. Drivability issues can be present without really pushing any one sensor out of its normal range and some of these readings have a time/count aspect (how long or how many times has the reading been outside the range given a predetermined time/count) which will reset if the reading gets back into its proper range before exeeding the time/count limit.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:22 PM

no i did not remove the spider just the fpr for replacement but i was also thinking the moisture may have benn caused by the starting fluid. do you think this is what i was seeing?

Old 04-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Administrator

You would need to put a heck of a lot of starting fluid into it for you to see it as wetness after removing the upper plenum.

Test your fuel pressure again, specifically paying attention to the pressure bleed down after the pump shuts off.

Quick Reply: fuel system trouble with my 95 vortech