2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel tank gasket leaks, repair parts question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 12:54 PM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel tank gasket leaks, repair parts question

My last todo project is at hand. The gasket at top of tank leaks when tank is full. For now I just do not fill it up but ready to tackle the problem. The way I see it if I知 fixing this I知 going to replace fuel pump and filter while I知 at it doing it right or not at all. The current pump has over 100k miles on it, filter same. There are so many pumps to choose from, please what it the recommended part/mfg for this? Say like at O坦eilly or such. I live in fly over country so my autoparts options are rather limited unless online can get it to me within a few days. So yea, pump, filter and what ever extras the knowledgeable here know I need to have in order to do this job. Like what? Filler neck or something? Nothing worse than starting a job to get held up on a little part you forgot you need. 1998 Blazer, 4x4 LS ... VIN-1GNDT13W2W2102807 I have a mechanic buddy that痴 going to help me with the install so his words- just get the parts, figure it out. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-10-2019, 03:10 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Your 98 is a little different setup pump-wise than my 95, but I would highly recommend you purchase an AC Delco fuel pump. I've got a thread out there detailing the hell I had with fuel pumps last year, but I went through four before I got one to last longer than a few hundred miles.
​​​​​​
Check out rock auto, you can probably get an Delco assembly for about the same price as a parts store house brand. Just have to wait 3-4 days for shipping.

Also, if you're wanting other stuff to do while you have the tank down, change the gas tank vents as well. They seem to get brittle with age, and can leak. I've done them with the tank in place, but I think it might have been easier and quicker to just drop the tank lol.

Don't forget to order a fuel pump strainer, as well.

Old 03-10-2019, 04:15 PM
Starting Member

I read too use the OEM Delco, no problem but which? When I search I get several choices. The strainer looks like its built on the pump at least most say that in description. (thus the confusion on part) What part is the gas tank vents? Wish I had a exploded diagram and just went down list of part numbers to order. I’m ok with the rock auto online thing if they can get it to me by this Friday thus yea, need to order on Monday for sure. Tad more help please.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:28 AM
Rock18 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Trukntigger
I read too use the OEM Delco, no problem but which? When I search I get several choices. The strainer looks like its built on the pump at least most say that in description. (thus the confusion on part) What part is the gas tank vents? Wish I had a exploded diagram and just went down list of part numbers to order. I知 ok with the rock auto online thing if they can get it to me by this Friday thus yea, need to order on Monday for sure. Tad more help please.
I don't have a 98 so don't know with certainty but with some quick detective work:

Exploded diagram: https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-p...omponents-scat

According to GM Parts Direct (see link for info, but they tend to be overpriced) the original part# was 19177257. If you search Rock Auto with that pn# 19177257 it gives several results, including an ACDelco MU1772 for $196 and a Delphi FG0071 for $169. If ordering from Rock Auto personally I'd get the Delphi for a $25 difference, probably the same thing anyway. But Amazon has the same ACDelco MU1772 for $150 and Delphi FG0071 for $110 too which looks like about the best deal on a quality one.

If neither of them can get it to you in time, at least you have the pn#'s and maybe a local parts store can get it quicker.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:14 AM
Starting Member

Thanks, I did order the Delphi and Delphi tank screen and got a fuel filter while I was at it. Very noticeable smell of gas at driver side rear so expecting some issues when I do this. Guess is bad cracked hose or two but oddly running good and no codes so maybe its a vent hose. Will update after install, should be done by the weekend.