2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel Tank pressure sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 08:45 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough
Default Fuel Tank pressure sensor

Hey every one, could a bad Fuel Tank pressure sensor cause a P0446
code? I replaced all solinoids vent valves, hoses etc... Oh, and the gas cap with a GM part. that do you think
Thanks every one..

Old 05-14-2010, 10:33 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

if that code means low fuel pressure. its possible your pump is going out. just had a ford in the shop today doing the same thing. replaced the pump it went away

Old 05-15-2010, 06:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Did you go through the diagnostic procedure?
P0446 - Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit

Old 05-15-2010, 07:47 AM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

Kyle, for the most part i did, but not the triggering of anything with a scan tool,mine is more basic, and my Son ran over my Vac tool with his car,
so I'm s.o.l. on that also, I have done the most ovious things that are discussed on the hundreds of threads dealing with this matter,this morning i will replace the sensor anyway and check for voltage at the sensor connector.
thanks for the reply,I'll keep you posted on progress.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Beginning Member
BDS_237 is on a distinguished road

Please let us know the process you went through to replace this sensor. I have to replace mine and have been put off by the fear of lowering the gas tank.

Thanks.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

you can do it without lowering the tank. JP

Old 05-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Beginning Member
BDS_237 is on a distinguished road

Howso? I've not even begun to tackle this, so any direction you can give would help. Is it simply a matter of going between the frame and body through a wheel well?

Old 05-16-2010, 02:12 PM

BDS, Its very simple, what i did was raise the rear end of my truck up either on ramps or jackstands, and lowered the spare tire, i took a small mirror and a shop light to see the sensor . and very carfully pryed it out of the top of the fuel tank pump housing(Its right on the very top with a 3 wire connector)
then to reinstall the new sensor i pressed it in the hole the best i could
then took a deep well socket placed it on top of the sensor and used a flat bladed screw driver to pry agaist the top of the socket and the
underside of the vehihle, worked like a champ reattach the 3 wire connector, if thing are to tight for you, the fuel tank strap can be loosened and the tank will lower about 1" or so to give you more room
the whole process is like 30 min. or so..
I hope this helps.
Robert

Old 05-18-2010, 09:38 PM

O.K. p0446 can back on today while driving to work, so i quess it is time to start replacing vacuum hoses.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:09 AM

O.K. this should be the last post on this, I visited my local junk yard and picked up a new hose that runs from the vent solinoid on top of the motor
to a metal hose at the fire wall, i swapped out the hose and now after 3 tanks of gas the code(P0446) does not appear any more.

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank pressure sensor