2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel tips

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 11:01 AM
00blazerS10 is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel tips

I was wondering it anyone know of a way to get better MPG I have a 2000 with 170k all stock and on the highway im lucky to get 13mpg. any tips??

Old 12-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Starting Member
joejiz is on a distinguished road

Tires perfectly inflated, balanced, rotated often. All ujoints tight. don't use AC

Always in OD.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:18 PM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road

im pretty sure the AC thing is a myth. at joe said tires inflated and rotated ever 6k miles. also whens the last time you had a tune up? (spark plugs, coils, etc) i also use gumout all in one fuel system cleaner every oil change

Old 01-22-2014, 10:30 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by er0ck273
im pretty sure the AC thing is a myth......
I've read that at highway speeds, the extra wind resistance from having the windows down will lower mileage more than the load of the AC compressor will.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:48 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

CAI nfg its all on the O2 sensors As they get older they get sluggish. Next lower your vehicle and remove the roof rack it will help at over sixty. Around town remove weight especally the tires and rims. Make sure your brakes arnt dragging.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:14 AM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cleburne red
I've read that at highway speeds, the extra wind resistance from having the windows down will lower mileage more than the load of the AC compressor will.
yea ive heard that too. i think the rule of thumb is under 50mph put the windows down, over 50 use the AC. thats what i do cause im cheap as hell haha, my friends laugh at me..which is probably why i get 18-19mpg hahaha

Old 01-23-2014, 05:39 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If the PCM has been replaced, or if the timing cover or crankshaft position sensor have been moved, removed, replaced, or disturbed in any way, base time will be incorrect. If base time is incorrect, fuel mileage will be crapola! Performing the crankshaft position sensor relearn, among other things, will correct base time. This is the only way to make sure it's correct. Viewing ignition timing advance on a scan tool, only shows what the PCM is applying to base time. If you don't know the history of the vehicle, it might be worth it to have the relearn done. It requires a scan tool capable of initiating it. After the scan tool is connected to the vehicle, and the relearn is initiated, it takes 10 seconds or less to complete.

If the distributor has been removed or replaced, camshaft retard needs to be checked/adjusted, (it's part of the job). Must be zero degrees, plus or minus 2 degrees, (also done with a capable scan tool). The adjustment is made by slightly rotating the distributor and watching the live data.

If either or both of these are incorrect, mileage will be affected, and it could be significant. There will be no check engine light, or DTC's set in memory.

Also, make sure the transmission is going into overdrive.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:47 PM
Starting Member
scottl1346 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
If the PCM has been replaced, or if the timing cover or crankshaft position sensor have been moved, removed, replaced, or disturbed in any way, base time will be incorrect. If base time is incorrect, fuel mileage will be crapola! Performing the crankshaft position sensor relearn, among other things, will correct base time. This is the only way to make sure it's correct. Viewing ignition timing advance on a scan tool, only shows what the PCM is applying to base time. If you don't know the history of the vehicle, it might be worth it to have the relearn done. It requires a scan tool capable of initiating it. After the scan tool is connected to the vehicle, and the relearn is initiated, it takes 10 seconds or less to complete.

If the distributor has been removed or replaced, camshaft retard needs to be checked/adjusted, (it's part of the job). Must be zero degrees, plus or minus 2 degrees, (also done with a capable scan tool). The adjustment is made by slightly rotating the distributor and watching the live data.

If either or both of these are incorrect, mileage will be affected, and it could be significant. There will be no check engine light, or DTC's set in memory.

Also, make sure the transmission is going into overdrive.
capt hook
what happens when the scanner wont let you do the re-learn, expensive snap on scanner that does everything lol
i tried on mine cause i thought it was my bad mpg issue because i changed the dist and wanted to make sure everything was good but it wouldn't do the re learn.
completely stock 96 blazer 2 door 4.3 4x4

Old 01-23-2014, 07:18 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

What model is the scan tool?

Camshaft retard, (could also be listed as CMP retard), is in the engine menu under "sensors". Snap throttle over 2K and back to idle, read the degrees, (must be done after each adjustment). Rotate the distributor one way or the other to adjust. This is not a relearn, and does not affect ignition timing. When you move the distributor, among other things, it aligns the camshaft position sensor with the camshaft. That's how the sensor got its name; it senses the position of the camshaft

Crankshaft position sensor relearn, (could also be listed as Crankshaft Position System Variation learn) is in the engine menu under "functional tests". Follow the on-screen directions. Engine at idle, foot on the brake, trans in park, bring rpm slowly up to 4K. When you feel/hear the PCM take over throttle control, let off the throttle, PCM does it's thing, and it will show a confirmation message when complete.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 01-23-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:39 PM
Starting Member
scottl1346 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
What model is the scan tool?

Camshaft retard, (could also be listed as CMP retard), is in the engine menu under "sensors". Snap throttle over 2K and back to idle, read the degrees, (must be done after each adjustment). Rotate the distributor one way or the other to adjust. This is not a relearn, and does not affect ignition timing. When you move the distributor, among other things, it aligns the camshaft position sensor with the camshaft. That's how the sensor got its name; it senses the position of the camshaft

Crankshaft position sensor relearn, (could also be listed as Crankshaft Position System Variation learn) is in the engine menu under "functional tests". Follow the on-screen directions. Engine at idle, foot on the brake, trans in park, bring rpm slowly up to 4K. When you feel/hear the PCM take over throttle control, let off the throttle, PCM does it's thing, and it will show a confirmation message when complete.
im not sure its a newer 1 maybe year and a half old its not mine tho so i couldn't tell you and he just had the $1k update dont to it

Quick Reply: Fuel tips