2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Gas guage broken

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Sturg is on a distinguished road
Default Gas guage broken

on my 99 blazer. I saw a scanguage 2 thing and i wondered if this would give me a sort of secondary gas guage that actually worked. I'm tired of running out of gas on the way to the gas station haha.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:29 AM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

Unlikely. The common problem with fuel gauges is the sending unit in the tank. A scanner would rely on that sending unit too.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Starting Member
awe341 is on a distinguished road

It is not always the sending unit itself on these trucks that go bad. Quite often it is just a bad connection in the plug going to the pump that causes the problem.

Put some gas in the truck (preferably fill it up) and then have someone watch the gauge as you wiggle the wires to the pump. If the gauge moves at all then you just need to install a new connector. It is a common enough failure item that most auto parts stores keep them in stock.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:25 PM
MattxMosh is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by awe341
It is not always the sending unit itself on these trucks that go bad. Quite often it is just a bad connection in the plug going to the pump that causes the problem.

Put some gas in the truck (preferably fill it up) and then have someone watch the gauge as you wiggle the wires to the pump. If the gauge moves at all then you just need to install a new connector. It is a common enough failure item that most auto parts stores keep them in stock.
I did the same thing on my 97 & 00.

Though I did have trouble with the 2000 again, two bottles of fuel system cleaner fixed that. It would get all wonky whenever it was full, and wouldn't read right unless I ran it almost dry and put it at 3/4s. I still don't really trust it though.

Much less money and hassle than the usual alternative.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Sturg is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by awe341

Where are the wires located?

Old 02-04-2010, 10:55 PM
Beginning Member
Izzy207 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the a similar problem. The gas gague would work when it had anything over a half tank. Anything less then the needle would go all over the place. Then one day the truck did not start. The fuel pump went. I got it replaced and the gauge works fine now. The same thing happened to my brothers truck as well. FYI... If your going to replace the sending unit, then your better off just doing the whole thing.

We have a 99 & 95 blazer.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:43 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

The wires to the pump and sender should come off the rear of the tank between the frame crossmember and the tank/ You also might want to check the ground wire which is bolted to the same crossmember (or should be). The Gray wire is to the pump, Purple to sender and Black to ground.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Beginning Member
robjamber is an unknown quantity at this point

i have the same issue and use the trip to calculate roughly 320 miles per tank. i assumed it might be the float connected to the pump inside the fuel tank. the float could be getting stuck. i believe the float tells the dash gauge how much fuel is in the tank... mine reads "full" when full, and gets stuck at 1/2 tank.

Last edited by robjamber; 02-05-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:02 PM
6Cyl'erThriller is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks

I think this thread shed some light on some problems I may be having with my new Blazer. I cant tell if its actually out of gas or if there is plenty. I figure there should be plenty but the gauge is all over the place below 1/2 tank. I haven't filled er all the way up yet. Hope to do that tomorrow. The digital read outs say I have plenty of mileage to use up, but even they fluctuate with the crazy tank readings. I plan on filling it up full and riding it out for 300 miles and see what happens thru a full tank. Then I will decide what if anything I need to fix. Thanks

Old 05-22-2011, 10:55 PM
Beginning Member
Vicer_Exciser is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Izzy207
I had the a similar problem. The gas gague would work when it had anything over a half tank. Anything less then the needle would go all over the place. Then one day the truck did not start. The fuel pump went. I got it replaced and the gauge works fine now. The same thing happened to my brothers truck as well. FYI... If your going to replace the sending unit, then your better off just doing the whole thing.

We have a 99 & 95 blazer.

yea this has happened to me twice. as of now my gauge does not work at all. i hated the jumping of it.

Quick Reply: Gas guage broken