2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Gonna be replacing fuel pump, just looking for pointers

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 09:56 PM
cage47 is on a distinguished road
Default Gonna be replacing fuel pump, just looking for pointers

Hey, I'm getting ready for the second trip up to NY to pick up my daughter. Before I do I'm looking at replacing the fuel pump. Now I'm not sure if the filter is giving out or if it's just a clogged strainer. But I figure if I'm going to take it out I might as well replace the whole unit.

Now I can see that the 95 is easier because the fuel pump is replaceable by itself and not with the sending unit. So it' costs a lot less than say a 98 with the two together =over $250. The 95 is only $89. and the strainer is $11. Other than that it seems the 95 is similar to the older models. I've read on how to drop the tank, which is the hard part. But what little hangups should I look out for? I've read that fuel lines can get broken or wire connections. And I know to do it when the tank is empty as possible.

Just a background. My fuel pump gives a very noticeable wine when it's running. Very noticeable. And I find that the lower my fuel level the harder it is to start first thing in the morning. And even when it's under a 1/4 tank even once running it is getting very spotty. slight hesitations and rough idling now. So what tips can y'all give me.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Beginning Member
FLEMTP is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cage47
Hey, I'm getting ready for the second trip up to NY to pick up my daughter. Before I do I'm looking at replacing the fuel pump. Now I'm not sure if the filter is giving out or if it's just a clogged strainer. But I figure if I'm going to take it out I might as well replace the whole unit.

Now I can see that the 95 is easier because the fuel pump is replaceable by itself and not with the sending unit. So it' costs a lot less than say a 98 with the two together =over $250. The 95 is only $89. and the strainer is $11. Other than that it seems the 95 is similar to the older models. I've read on how to drop the tank, which is the hard part. But what little hangups should I look out for? I've read that fuel lines can get broken or wire connections. And I know to do it when the tank is empty as possible.

Just a background. My fuel pump gives a very noticeable wine when it's running. Very noticeable. And I find that the lower my fuel level the harder it is to start first thing in the morning. And even when it's under a 1/4 tank even once running it is getting very spotty. slight hesitations and rough idling now. So what tips can y'all give me.

Ive had to replace my fuel pump not once.. but twice...

use a floor jack or an extra couple pair of hands to SLOWLY lower the tank and check for hangups as you drop the tank so you don't pull wires or fuel lines loose.

It also helps if you do the job with as little fuel in the tank as possible. If you have over a 1/8 or a 1/4 tank get a hand pump and pull most of the fuel out of the tank.. makes it much lighter, and easier to manage..

I would also replace the fuel filter, which is pretty easy to do while you're doing the fuel pump, since the pressure will already be out of the fuel lines.

oh.. and make sure you spend the money and get the better fuel pumps.. ie: Bosch..

the first time i replaced it I went cheap on the pump to save some cash.. and ended up replacing it again a year and a half later because the cheap one quit. The second time I did it right, and put a Bosch pump in with a lifetime warranty

Old 06-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Beginning Member
jeep44 is on a distinguished road

I don't know about your specific year of Blazer, but on mine,the sections of hose that connect the filler neck to the tank were VERY difficult to remove-I ended up cutting them to get the tank off.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:34 PM

Fuel filter is already done. And I plan on running it almost empty to do it. Probly next wednesday. I've got one on an online site with a lifetime warranty as long as I replace the strainer with it.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:35 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Be aware that a "lifetime warranty" is not the end to all fuel pump problems. Plenty of pumps have a "lifetime" warranty... So you get a crappy fuel pump with a "lifetime" warranty. What happens if it goes out? Oh sure, they may just cheerfully exchange a broken pump for the exact same problematic one, but then you get to do the entire job again.
I recommend buying an OEM quality pump like an AC Delco and avoiding the "we will give you another one if it breaks" lifetime warranty scheme.
Yea, the fuel filler hoses are a real pain... I would buy new ones (and clamps) before I would even start the job.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:58 AM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bandidolenny
Yea, the fuel filler hoses are a real pain... I would buy new ones (and clamps) before I would even start the job.
X2

Take a look at those fuel tank straps before getting the pump. You may need to replace those also. I had to replace the smaller 6" strap on mine because it was rotted.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:39 AM

Thanks Bandito. I'll do that. I didn't think of that. But the straps are good. Did check them. Good ole Texas DRY weather.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:30 AM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cage47
Thanks Bandito. I'll do that. I didn't think of that. But the straps are good. Did check them. Good ole Texas DRY weather.
Must be nice.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:11 AM
Starting Member
awe341 is on a distinguished road

When replacing the fuel pump you want to also be sure that you replace the wiring harness that goes to the pump as well as the fuel pump relay under the hood.

Both are generally kept in stock at your local parts store for around $20 each and are common failure points for people who have "just replaced the fuel pump" and are still having issues.

A faulty harness (even if it looks ok) can cause a fuel pump to have intermittent problems starting up. With symptoms often showing up after a fuel pump replacement.

An old relay can sometimes not supply a full 12v to the pump. A pump that is running under-voltage may still run but the lifespan of the pump will be drastically reduced.

As for fuel pump brands. Stay away from the BOSCH pumps. BOSCH may make some good equipment but they make a crappy fuel pump. ACDelco or preferably DELPHI pumps are the ones that you want to go with if you can for this vehicle. Even the unknown off brand pumps seem to have a lower failure rate then the BOSCH pumps.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:14 AM
Beginning Member
jeep44 is on a distinguished road

The Delphi pump for my '99 came with a new section of wiring-the plug is changed, and you have to cut the old plug off and splice this new one in.
The Delphi pump came with a new O-ring seal,which you will want to change. I bought a new snap ring,too, as my old one was rather rusty.
I also cleaned up the ground point on the frame-bad grounds can cause all sorts of problems.

Quick Reply: Gonna be replacing fuel pump, just looking for pointers