2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Got my hitch but it doesn't fit!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 09:20 PM
Starting Member
blazerJim1701 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Got my hitch but it doesn't fit!!!!

I bought it off of ebay from The Curt Company went to install it and got one side up then the other side wouldn't even go up to the frame!!!!!

I went ballistic!!!!

since I am going to florida with a uhaul trailer this stinks!!!!

I emailed the seller, no response.

I called paypal and they put in a complaint and a hold on the funds.

I spent 210.00 for the one from curt.

Th uhaul trailer specs are:
Capacity

* Volume: up to 208 cu. ft.
* Max load: 1,800 lbs.
* Gross vehicle weight: 2,700 lbs. max
* Empty weight: 900 lbs.

Dimensions

* Inside dimensions: 8' x 4'8" x 5'4" (LxWxH)
* Door opening: 4'0" x 4'10" (WxH)

Your towing vehicle:

* Must be equipped with a hard top if it is an SUV. U-Haul does not allow any type of sport-utility vehicle not equipped with a hard top to tow U-Haul equipment.
* Must weigh at least 2,700 lbs. (curb weight)
* Must have Class 1 tow hitch (2,000 lb. minimum weight-carrying rating)
* Must have 1-7/8", 2" or 2-1/8" hitch ball (2,000 lbs. minimum)
* Must not exceed maximum allowable hitch ball height 25"
* Must have external mirrors on both sides
* Must have fully operational lighting
* Trailer lighting must be operational at all times, day and night
* Maximum recommended speed is 45 MPH

My question is. if I use a bumper ball will that be good. it says I can but I really don't go by them, I trust the opinions here.

Thanks

Jim

Old 07-28-2009, 12:00 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

What does the owner manual say about bumper towing capacity? I would go with that. Why won't the receiver you bought bolt up?What is stopping it from going up?

Old 07-28-2009, 06:56 AM
Mammys Car is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hitch receiver fit

I had a '95 and installed a receiver with ease. When I sold the '95 and bought a '96, the receiver transferred with ease. When I sold the '96 and bought a 2000, the SAME receiver was ~1/16 too long to fit between the frame. The frame looked adjustable but the fit was so close, I tried to pry the frame apart slightly and use a floor jack to lift the receiver into place. Once one side was BARELY inside the frame, a small crow bar fit between the frame and receiver on the other side. While prying, the floor jack lifted the second side barely into place. Then worked side-to-side with the floor jack.
Worked like a charm.
Once the receiver was up between the frame, I could position it with a screw driver through the frame and receiver holes to align it well enough to get the bolts inserted.
Hope this helps.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:27 AM
Starting Member

with mine the unit is a bit short, I tried with the crowbar and the jack but no-go...

I was flipping last night.

on the bumper it says 3500 lbs max.

I asked the guy at u-haul and he said it will be fine as long as the max weight I am putting in doesn't exceed 2K lbs and to get a 2" ball for 6K lbs.

I do not think mine will even come close to that, I'll have 15 boxes (approx) and a couple of other things...

My load might be 800 lbs if that...

I just want to be sure... getting nervous about this trip!

Thanks

Jim

Old 07-28-2009, 08:30 AM
Starting Member

this hitch that I bought fits on the outside of the frame not in between the frame.

The guy at u-haul told me he's had problems with curt hitches and he doesn't like them.

Jim

Old 07-28-2009, 09:57 AM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

I never was fond of bumper hitches. Take the plastic cover off and examine both sides of bumper where the ball attaches to. If you have a lot of rust, I would dismiss the idea of using the bumper IMO.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:05 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Some pics of how this hitch mounts and what's going on? If we can see what the problem is we may be able to help you better. I have an idea of what may be happening, but I don't know because I don't understand how your hitch mounts... I installed a factory GM hitch which replaced the bumper brackets.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Starting Member
dBsound is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mammys Car
I had a '95 and installed a receiver with ease. When I sold the '95 and bought a '96, the receiver transferred with ease. When I sold the '96 and bought a 2000, the SAME receiver was ~1/16 too long to fit between the frame. The frame looked adjustable but the fit was so close, I tried to pry the frame apart slightly and use a floor jack to lift the receiver into place. Once one side was BARELY inside the frame, a small crow bar fit between the frame and receiver on the other side. While prying, the floor jack lifted the second side barely into place. Then worked side-to-side with the floor jack.
Worked like a charm.
Once the receiver was up between the frame, I could position it with a screw driver through the frame and receiver holes to align it well enough to get the bolts inserted.
Hope this helps.
I had the same problem. I kept the hitch off of my 95, when I sold it. Went to put it on my 98, and it was one C hair too narrow to fit!!! Grrrrr. I finally gave up, and went to Uhaul. They had to pull the bumper, and finally got it on, after MUCH cursing on their part. They were refusing, after a while, because the bumper bolt holes weren't aligning enough to put it back on. I talked them into it, and I had to carry the bumper home, and widen the bolt holes, in order to get it back on. Nothing's ever easy.....

Old 07-28-2009, 01:34 PM
Starting Member

Well I went to u-haul to buy a ball hitch.

I was there so many times the manager asked me what was wrong and I told him.

He asked me if he could see my new hitch, I showed it to him (he was very nice and he could see I was totally aggrevated).

He said that's not a problem.

So he brought the blazer in.

he looked and saw that where the 3 bolts on each side there was thicker metal, he said if this came with a tow package, I said IDK.

then he told one of the guys what to do, they essentially hit the ends a couple of times they they moved into into position with the hydraulic hitch installer.

then they had a hard time lining up the holes but once they dropped the spare they lined up the holes and installed it.

then they told me that there was another hitch with the 4 bolts installed one time under the bumper but some one neglicted to reinstall the bolts.

He had one of the guys install new bolts now the bumper is solid, the hitch is on and I bought the other hardware I needed to tow and when I was paying for the hardware I asked the manager how much for the install he said " don't worry about it, it's on me.

I thanked him and told him it was much appreciated!

So I have everything for the tow.

I reserved the trailer this morning through the same place that did the install.

I'm glad it's on... and the trailer is only costing me $236.00 for 5 days...

Thanks

Jim

Old 07-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Starting Member

then he told one of the guys what to do, they essentially hit the ends a couple of times they they moved into into position with the hydraulic hitch installer.

I ment to say they hit the ends of the hitch to get it up on the frame.....

Quick Reply: Got my hitch but it doesn't fit!!!!