2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

H4 conversion issue...need some help......

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 08:32 PM
Maxboost25psi is on a distinguished road
Default H4 conversion issue...need some help......

Hello,

I recently installed a H4 conversion kit on my daughter's 96 Blazer (s-10).

The install for the most part was straight forward, after some trusty dremmel work on the bucket supports, but boy did we notice a problem when it got dark.

The lights appear to work well when your standing in front of it...they are nice and clear, producing what appears to be adequate light.

However, the low-beams are ridicoulsly low in light level. The light emitted on low setting, is a very dull almost yellowish in color (I think I could do better sticking a flashlight out the window).

The high beams however look fantastic and really throw the light out there, but the kid cant drive with bright lights on all the time.

When I was doing the wiring, I noticed the drivers side had double green and double tan wires. I simply took note of what each color code corresonded to and hooked em up as follows:

Stock Tan : Low Harness : White Low
Stock Green : High Harness : Black High
Stock Blue: DRL (I think) : Dont hook up or use
No stock wire : Ground : Blue -grounded to frame

When I hooked up the conversion harness, I only tapped one of each of the double color coded wires.

Should I have spliced them (all three) together?
IE: Tan (1) , Tan (2) > Harness White (low beam)?

Im not to electrical saavvy, so any help would be appriciated!

Thanks

(Mod, please move post if not in correction section).

Last edited by Maxboost25psi; 03-27-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:21 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Can you measure the voltage across low? If its near six volt thats the DRL. As I remember DRL is left + right in series L think voltage runs backwards from ground to left light to right light then to BCM grounding. I'll check schematic when I get home.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:46 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I believe the DRLs use the highs though.

I thought when I did mine, that the two lows were tied together at the plug for the lights on the drivers side. Same with the highs.

What year are you working on, it might make a difference.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:04 AM

Its a 1996 Blazer (s-10).

Old 03-26-2013, 08:27 AM

Hello again guys,

I was doing some additional research and noticed a couple references to possibly buying an additional harness with relays. It appears the harness would connect directly to the battery, vs running off the stock switch. Like I said before, I am not educated too well in that of electrical systems. Would this be something that could possibly remedy my problem? I didnt think upgrading to H4 lights would really be an issue.....

A couple references brought me to LMCTruck.com....

Looks like part 36-3583 would be what I am looking for

Truck Parts and Truck Accessories

I might go home after work and look at tapping both of those tan wires together vs the one, as well as the green ones just to rule out any "what ifs".

Thanks again!

Old 03-26-2013, 11:38 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

If all else fails, that harness should do the trick. If you need help hooking it up, just ask.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Thogert
If all else fails, that harness should do the trick. If you need help hooking it up, just ask.
Hello,

Yes, I will need help for sure....are these fairly easy to install by chance and do you have a write up on it?

I bought some new Sylvania Xtravision 9003/H4 to rule out a bad bulb, but the Blazer is still dim on low beam...

Ok...here is the latest.....folks
After doing some reading I decided to try a few things, but the issue is still there......
1.) Swapped out relay in glove box. Of the three in there, the one on the farright was for the lights if I am not mistaken. I swapped it out with a known work horn relay (center one) and no change in lights. Low lights are super dim.
2. Pulled battery and battery tray out. Disconnected both grounds I saw there and cleaned them up with a dremmel tool (connections) and took the metal down to metal. Reinstall everything, no change (other than radio flashing 12:00 )
3. Pulled grill cover off and wired both Tans together >New Harness . Wired both Greens together> Harness, and fresh ground (body and neg battery) still dim

Gah

Last edited by Maxboost25psi; 03-28-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:09 AM

Went back to stock and ordered LMC harness....

Will report back when we get it...really hoping that solves the mystery here

Old 03-30-2013, 09:34 PM
Starting Member
scottl1346 is on a distinguished road

buy these those projector type suck 165mm H4656 H4 Euro Conversion Headlights | eBay
also there different types of H4 plugs
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...60%3B545%3B438

Old 04-04-2013, 09:48 PM

Hello Gang!

Well I finally got the harness from LMC, but it is not 100% correct for my application. Long story short, the ends that were supposed to be H4 compatiable are actually 9007 ends. I called LMC and they didn't have what I needed...soooo looks like I am going to do some minor surgery to harness.

I do need some help however. I searched the web for a good while and found conflicting information on trying to identify what wires are what, so I can correctly splice my wires together (high>high, low>low>ground to ground).

Can you guys give me a hand? Is this correct?

H4

Plug facing you " l _ l " :

l = Ground _ = Low l = Hi

Now the 9007 end

Plug facing you / clip up:

* = Low * = Ground * = Hi

Attached Thumbnails H4 conversion issue...need some help......-h4.jpg   H4 conversion issue...need some help......-headlightharnessfront.jpg   H4 conversion issue...need some help......-tostockharness.jpg  

Quick Reply: H4 conversion issue...need some help......