2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Halfway through fuel pressure test, question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 09:10 PM
telecaster is on a distinguished road
Default Halfway through fuel pressure test, question?

Hello all. 2000 blazer had been fine in the morning and on the way home from work, however, after a little while of sitting, or stopping by the store on the way home, it would refuse to start. Crank, but no start. If it set for a few minutes, it would start again. But now, it wouldn't start at all. I have spark and am halfway through the fuel pressure and leak down test, but have real low numbers so far. It's dark cold and rainy so I'll finish up tomorrow, here's what I have: at first prime, the tester indicates 35psi, with pump off, pressure settles to 28. Then bleeds to 20 after 10 minutes. Is this just screaming fuel pump, or should I stay the course and finish the test at the fuel filter? Just trying to save time. Thanks for any responses. Thought I'd mention, I am using captain hooks write up for the test guide and the pressure gauge us rented from O'Reillys. Thanks again. Edit: forgot to mention, the first thing I did was replace the fuel filter.

Last edited by telecaster; 12-03-2016 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:35 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

you really should finish it, could be either end. You could also take off your throttle body and look inside. If there is any shiny areas your spider is leaking. Should be carbon black. if not better chance that is the pump. Have you inspected the fuel lines?

Old 12-04-2016, 10:11 AM

Yes, checked them over before I replaced the filter. I'm going to go out right now and finish it up since I spent most of the morning roundiing up the fittings for the adapter. I'll post the numbers directly.

Old 12-04-2016, 12:53 PM

Ok, got it . The readings at the service port this morningump prime30. Settled at 20. Readings at filter output: 35, settled to 20, and after 10 minutes,10. So, I'm gonna say fuel pump. I've had the truck for almost 2 years, had a few little things go down with it ( see other posts.) But, I still love it. At a little over a quarter of a million miles, I'm gonna replace that pump and push for 300,000. I'll keep you posted. Oh, somebody tell me if I'm wrong, please. Thanks guys, you're all swell.

Old 12-04-2016, 01:09 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Yep sounds like pump. Get ac delco or delphi. Other brands wont last. Check amazon or rock auto.com

Old 12-05-2016, 10:16 AM

Can someone please post a link to the sticky notes in dropping the tank and replacing the fuel pump? I know they are here, just can't find them. I really want to read up on it before I begin. Thank you.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:27 AM

Would someone please post a link to the sticky notes on dropping the tank and replacing the fuel pump? I can't find it, and would like to read it before I start.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:13 AM

Ok, git it running, but now the fuel gauge doesn't work. When I first started the vehicle, the fuel gauge was pegged at full for 5 or 10 seconds. Then, down to empty, low fuel light on and that's where it stayed. Had to be a ground issue, no? Any ideas are welcome.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:27 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a possible ground. I would say recheck your wiring.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:11 AM

That's my first plan of action. Is there a schematic in here somewhere so I can see what wire does what? I'm at work right now, but plan on getting it fixed as soon as I can get home.

Quick Reply: Halfway through fuel pressure test, question?