2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Hard to start when warm?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 06:14 PM
Starting Member
midnightmekanik is on a distinguished road
Default Hard to start when warm?

I'm finding the truck very hard to start when the motor is at operating temp. It takes quite a bit of cranking, and when it does start, it chugs for a few seconds then runs ok. When it starts, a puff of black smoke (not huge, but enough to notice it) comes out the exhaust. I haven't checked into anything, haven't had time yet, and have no idea where to start looking? Some searching turned up similar issues, but nothing really like mine. Alot of them point to the egr, but I took it out and cleaned it (also replaced gasket with screen one) when I cleaned the IAC.

The truck starts and runs great when it's cold. It idles a little rough when warm, although it still runs decently. I also feel by my "butt dyno" that its not as powerful when it's running warm? LOL

Any suggestions where to start looking?

Old 09-25-2009, 08:36 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

Start looking with a fuel pressure test, especially leakdown with the engine off. It sounds like you're leaking gas somewhere inside your intake. Extra gas helps (or at least doesn't hurt as much) starting a cold motor but when it's warm it's like having a flooded one.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:18 PM
Starting Member
danmiranda is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like your having the exactly same problem i've been having. Runs great sometimes, but after it runs its hard to start. Long crank time sometimes, other days starts right up.. Sound familiar? I know my problem is my fuel pump. (but too lazy to fix it immediately) It definately sounds like its a fuel related problem, and the best way to find out what to fix is the fuel diagnostics test found in the DIY section of the forum.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:34 AM
Starting Member
midnightmekanik is on a distinguished road

I'll have to check the leakdown when I have time on Sunday. As for the fuel pump being the problem, I highly doubt it... I just changed it 2 months ago!!

Strange thing is, if it is leaking gas into the intake, how quickly is it leaking? The most problems I have is when I get home from work in the morning, and the wife gets in to go. Truck hasn't been off for more than a minute, and it's hard to start...

If it sits for an hour or so, it starts up beautifully... So one would think that sitting a bit longer, but still being warm it would have a hard time but it doesn't???

Old 09-26-2009, 08:45 AM
Beginning Member
hernandez3674 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem since i changed to a Carter fuel pump two years ago.. I replaced the spider , FPR since then and i still experience the same problem. Wierd because i get 59psi at idle, About 55 psi after i shut down and it stays for about 6 minutes.. and i verified 58psi prior to i start.. My original pump never had this problem, but i can deal with it until this pump fails...

Old 09-26-2009, 09:17 AM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

the ignition control module could be bad..they act up when it gets hot..take it to advance and have them test it,,,make sure they test it several times in a row to get it hot

Old 09-26-2009, 09:44 AM
radar is on a distinguished road

reelbroke is on the right track, w/ not getting spark when hot, advance will test i know cause i work there, they'll test it til hot. i'd check the coil too and replace plugs n wires

Old 09-26-2009, 10:01 AM

reelbroke is on the right track, w/ not getting spark when hot, advance will test i know cause i work there, they'll test it til hot. i'd check the coil too and replace plugs n wires

Old 09-26-2009, 10:05 AM

the chance of injectors leaking into the intake is somewhat slim, they're more likely to clog up then leak

Old 09-26-2009, 11:01 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by midnightmekanik
I'm finding the truck very hard to start when the motor is at operating temp. It takes quite a bit of cranking, and when it does start, it chugs for a few seconds then runs ok. When it starts, a puff of black smoke (not huge, but enough to notice it) comes out the exhaust. I haven't checked into anything, haven't had time yet, and have no idea where to start looking? Some searching turned up similar issues, but nothing really like mine. Alot of them point to the egr, but I took it out and cleaned it (also replaced gasket with screen one) when I cleaned the IAC.

The truck starts and runs great when it's cold. It idles a little rough when warm, although it still runs decently. I also feel by my "butt dyno" that its not as powerful when it's running warm? LOL

Any suggestions where to start looking?
i noticed a suggestion that the fuel pump might be the problem (doesn't matter if you just changed ot last week, there can always be a bad batch made). if the pump was bad, why is he getting a puff of black smoke? this is raw, unburnt fuel, so there must be to much in the cylinder upon firing up.

Originally Posted by reelbroke2
the ignition control module could be bad..they act up when it gets hot..take it to advance and have them test it,,,make sure they test it several times in a row to get it hot
that would be Canadian Tire or Parts Soure up her in Canada.

Originally Posted by radar
i don't know. i'd check the cat, since you mentioned that it seems to be losing power when it get's up to temp. how long (far) have you driven it when it's losing power? and does it continue to lose more power as it goes along?

Quick Reply: Hard to start when warm?