2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

hard tick matching rpms

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Beginning Member
Itz My AeroplaIn is on a distinguished road
Default hard tick matching rpms

i have a constant tick coming from my engine. it increases with the power band and is def audible when shifting from 1st -2nd. almost sounds like a clock that revs up and drops away after shift. any and all info will help tremendously. i just changed the pluggs.

als, oil pressure sticks at around60 till it warms up, then it will drop under 40 when i come to a stop and sometimes flutters till i accelerate. i have a oil drip i can set my watch to, but i didnt think it was a gasket. friend told me if it was it would spray oil instead... any info?

Old 01-03-2012, 04:04 PM
spittybays

Some info on the truck would be great. Is the truck new to you? Miles? Year? Do you know if anyone put motor honey in. Is there a hard knock on first start-up. Head gasket change? Pressure flutter sometimes scary...bearings.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Beginning Member
Itz My AeroplaIn is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by spittybays
Some info on the truck would be great. Is the truck new to you? Miles? Year? Do you know if anyone put motor honey in. Is there a hard knock on first start-up. Head gasket change? Pressure flutter sometimes scary...bearings.
its a 96 4.3. has 190000+ miles on it. Ive had it for2 yrs now and has done this since ive owned it. for all i know the oil change has been regular and nothing special. i dont believe the gasket has changed. there arent any signs of the engine ever being opened up previously. theres no oil down the sides of the block, but there is on the hoses and at the bottom of the pan. there is no hard kock or clunking sound. honestly, the engine sounds like a top ( i have heard engines with bad lower bearings and there isnt a lot of other noise). with the recent cold, the belts and pulleys are whining and i seem to not be able to hold a charge even though i bought a battery lastyear and my alt is putting out a strong charge.
not sure if its all connected, but i hope it helps you with an ider...

and thank you by the way, been posted for a while and figured people were just skippin by.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:27 AM
Starting Member
andrewcovetsall2012 is on a distinguished road

i have a very similar sound coming from my 98 lt. its only within a certain rpm range, usually when i am hammering down accelerating. it doesnt seem to matter if the car is warm or not. kinda almost sounds like the exhaust shield rattling but more internal like.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:56 AM
hereVORTECinfo is on a distinguished road

I had the same noise, but mine was at all aspects of acceleration (under load only(actually driving)). I pulled the valve covers and grasped the rocker arms and forced the push rod end into the the lifter. All had no lash except for cylinder #6 and #2 intake or exhaust lifters. I could push the push rod into the lifter about 3/8 to 1/2 inch. So in better terms, the rocker arms of all the other cylinders would not move into or compress the lifters, but cylinders 2 and 6 either intake or exhaust ( I can't remember which all of a sudden) would compress or move further then usual into the lifter, which indicates a collapsed lifter. I pulled the intake manifold and replaced the offending lifters, ( just the two) and reinstalled the manifold and then performed the timing chain tensioner TSB and "NO MORE TICK."

Old 01-16-2012, 03:05 PM
614blazer is on a distinguished road

mine has a similar sound when i start my truck cold start it has a knock but when i get on the gas for like 30 sec is goes away. only when its cold out like 40-20f. oil pressure is good had a head gasket job done 6 months ago never knocked til the head gasket was replaced but the heads check out good when my radiator blew and blew the HG along with it. temp hit 220. can hear it toward the bottom. any ideas 1998 blazer LT