2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Head gasket Job

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 12:17 AM
Beginning Member
crickkevin is on a distinguished road
Default Head gasket Job

So my blazer overheated after my friend borrowed it. After he returned it to me I had to replace the radiator because it was leaking. It also lost a lot of power. I did a cylinder pressure test and I found the the #1 cylinder was dead. It didn't change when I did a wet test. So I started to remove both heads. When I removed them I sent them to a machine shop for a valve job. Now I got the heads back and on. I used new bolts and everything went well. I contuned with the re-assembly of the intake manifold. I sent that out to get hot tanked and clened up. I didnt think about it and used the old bolts. As i torqued the manifold down I snapped 2 bolts and ended up removing the head, taking it to the machine shop so they could remove the broken remains of the bolt. So this is where I'm at. Tomorrow I'm going to get new bolts and try and complete the re-assembly of the top of the engine.

96 s-10 blazer 4.3l v-6 3" lift tow package 31" tires
Can't wait to get back in the dirt.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:20 AM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

I wouldn't be letting that friend borrow your truck again lol.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:43 AM
Starting Member
dobyken is on a distinguished road

Just for grins what torque specs were you using for the intake manifold?

Old 07-18-2011, 06:55 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dobyken
Just for grins what torque specs were you using for the intake manifold?
I second this question. Many people have used the specs listed in the Chilton's or Hayne's manuals for the CPI & older engines only to snap the little bolts used on the SCFI engines. There is a very specific torque (measured in in-lbs, not ft-lbs) & torquing process for the LIM bolts that must be followed.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:43 AM
pheaton is on a distinguished road

I'll third that. I snapped a bolt when I did mine. Then went back and re-checked the specs and it's inch pounds not foot pounds of torque. Fortunately I was able to get my bolt out without any harm done.

Napa had a bolt kit for me. The bolts are nearly impossible to find at most hardware stores, because they are a unique size.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:56 PM
Beginning Member

I'm using Haynes and it says for the lower intake manifold for 1996 4.3l 35ftlbs. I just think the bolts are brittle after overheating. I talked to the machine shop and they referred me to a bolt shop that gave me intake manifold and exhaust manifold bolts for like $20.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Beginning Member

I also used a different torque wrench the second time I broke a bolt.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:03 PM
vegie_2 is on a distinguished road

111 inch pounds or 11 foot pounds like the masters of the forum said

Old 07-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Beginning Member

My book says 35 foot lbs

Old 07-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

35ftlbs is too high! Toss that haynes manual in the garbage. 11ftlbs (132inlbs) is the required final torque on the LIM bolts on all SCFI engines.

Quick Reply: Head gasket Job