2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Head Job

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Beginning Member
ctys20 is on a distinguished road
Default Head Job

Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of replacing my head gasket (95 2wd, 1.5obd) and it looks like I need to remove the power steering pump and AC. So far the job has been easy up to the LIM but I'm in new territory here.

(1) Can anyone point me to a write up of where the bolts are for the PS Pump and AC compressor. I've heard I can just unbolt these and move them out of the way.

(2) Should I be planning on disconnecting the exhaust from the converter/y pipe or can they also be pushed out of the way?

Old 03-08-2013, 08:59 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

you should be able to push the A/C and the power steering out of the way. as far as the exhaust, im not sure. i would imagine that you have enough wiggle room to push it out of the way. let us know and make sure that you take pictures.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:44 PM
Beginning Member

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9388121...in/photostream

Thats where I'm at so far. I noticed on the 96 blazer the AC is on the drivers side so I'm not sure if dismounting would be similar. I replaced the LIM gasket about 2 years ago and probably used too much goop but it fixed THAT leak.

Now the problem is overheating/missing.

Last edited by ctys20; 03-08-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:16 PM
Beginning Member

Okay, The AC pump removed easily but I dont see how the PS pump can be removed without taking the pulley off.

pump 001 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I'll consult my Chiltons manual but it would be nice if I could just remove the bracket b/c I dont have a puller

Old 03-10-2013, 11:54 PM
Beginning Member

Just bought a pump puller from amazon. The vids on youtube make it look easy

Old 03-11-2013, 11:40 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Take and remove the altenator completely.Unloosen all the bolts to that bracket and move it forward.Unbolt your ac compressor and remove it.Unbolt the bracket assembly with the power steering box and the bolt that holds it to the side of the block or exhaust manifold cant remember that exactly.Move it back out of the way of the valave covers.As for the exhaust remove the manifolds from the engine block.Then you can remove the heads.Once installation of the heads takes place use new head bolts.You can use felpro or arp either are suitable.Arp you are just paying for the name thats why I say you can use the felpro bolts.Have fun and good luck.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Beginning Member

I have the alternator off and I dont see how it's possible to remove the PS bracket without taking the pulley off 1st - Chilton's manual says pulley needs to come off.

I found a pretty good write up here
How To Remove Cylinder Heads | Part 1: Rebuilding An Engine To Fix A Rod Knock - GMC or Chevy 4.3 V6

I didn't realize there were "external" head bolts next to the spark plugs. This is looking more and more like a job where the engine needs to be removed just to get to the bolts - I was hoping to remove the head WITH the exhaust attached as it's difficult to get to all the exhause bolts. (I have the exhaust disconnected from the pipes on each side).

Anyhow, I'm now thinking of removing the front clip area and then taking out the engine with the transmission..........that seems easier than trying to get to the TC bolts, removing starter, and all the crazy brackets this thing has.

I would need an engine hoist and stand but that seems like the way to go ....I'll think about it a bit though.............

Last edited by ctys20; 03-11-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:20 PM
Beginning Member

Just curious what does everyone think is the easiest way of doing this??

(1) with engine in the truck
pretty good fast motion vid of what I'm trying to do

(2) unbolt tranny from engine and then remove

(3) remove engine with transmission

Old 03-12-2013, 10:14 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

If your going to remove the engine which I dont understand why for valve job?Just pull the engine.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Beginning Member

I just dont see how you can get to all the bolts with the engine in. I'll take another look at it........maybe a few more things can be removed, like the plastic cover behind the AC Dryer and the brake booster??

Quick Reply: Head Job