Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   Which headlight is low beam? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/headlight-low-beam-57319/)

Old Skool Soldier 03-30-2011 07:32 PM

Which headlight is low beam?

Hey all, OSS here;

Kind of a stupid question, but I replaced the low beams in the truck today (2000 LT) and I replaced the two outer headlights as they were the low beams. Every other blazer/S10 I saw this evening, the two innter headlights were their running lights, and my outer lights are my running/low beams?
I flicked my highbeams on, and the middle ones come on/outer ones are off.

Am I crazy?

-OSS

nineTnine 03-30-2011 07:49 PM

Every Blazer I've seen, including my '99, the inside ones are lower power high beams for the daytime running lights during the day when the vehicle is in gear. At night the outside ones are the low beams and the inside are full power high. You said it was evening so maybe your headlights were actually on at the time?

warthogdriver 03-30-2011 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Old Skool Soldier (Post 422002)
Hey all, OSS here;

........the two innter headlights were their running lights, and my outer lights are my running/low beams?
I flicked my highbeams on, and the middle ones come on/outer ones are off.

Am I crazy?

-OSS

ok,
daytime running lights are middle set......high beams

auto headlights would be your outer set...low beams

depending on sunlight/lighting conditions outside your auto headlights may have been engaged. the sensor on the passenger side speaker grille is the auto headlight sensor...it may have been covered by something on your dash and tricked into on position.:icon_doh:

then when you flipped your highs the middle set would come on.

soooo nope still sane....at least as far as this goes. :icon_angel:

Old Skool Soldier 03-30-2011 08:06 PM

Hrm..Maybe it's not the auto sensor that's not working...
My headlight switch on the left hand side of the dash doesn't do anything when I move it into the 3 spots. Just the lowbeams stay on no matter where the switch is. Think that is the culprit?

-OSS

Captain Hook 03-30-2011 10:38 PM

Bring the vehicle out into full sunlight and try it, (I know, tough this time of year in the Soo). That should bypass the sensor by the speaker. Engine running, trans in gear, the inside bulbs should be on at a reduced level, (DRL's). Turn the headlamp switch on and the inner bulbs should turn off and the outside bulbs should come on full brightness, hit the dimmer switch to high beam and the outers should go off and the inners should come on full brightness. Post your results.

RangerG 03-30-2011 10:48 PM

I know all ZR2's have the low beam at full power for daytime running lights.

It might also be that Canadian Blazers have the lows for DRL? But that wouldn't make much sense since you saw other Blazers with the highs....hmm

Old Skool Soldier 03-30-2011 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook (Post 422061)
Bring the vehicle out into full sunlight and try it, (I know, tough this time of year in the Soo). That should bypass the sensor by the speaker. Engine running, trans in gear, the inside bulbs should be on at a reduced level, (DRL's). Turn the headlamp switch on and the inner bulbs should turn off and the outside bulbs should come on full brightness, hit the dimmer switch to high beam and the outers should go off and the inners should come on full brightness. Post your results.

Unfortionatly for me, my headlight switch doesn't do anything. I sat in the driveway, running in P, and I adjusted the headlight switch and nothing changed (saw the lights on the house door)

-OSS

Old Skool Soldier 03-31-2011 03:55 PM

Well I tested it out today in day light, and the outside lights are on :S Think its the selector switch?

-OSS

swartlkk 03-31-2011 04:34 PM

Are your tail lights on as well?