2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Which headlight is low beam?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Old Skool Soldier is on a distinguished road
Default Which headlight is low beam?

Hey all, OSS here;

Kind of a stupid question, but I replaced the low beams in the truck today (2000 LT) and I replaced the two outer headlights as they were the low beams. Every other blazer/S10 I saw this evening, the two innter headlights were their running lights, and my outer lights are my running/low beams?
I flicked my highbeams on, and the middle ones come on/outer ones are off.

Am I crazy?

-OSS

Old 03-30-2011, 07:49 PM
Starting Member
nineTnine is on a distinguished road

Every Blazer I've seen, including my '99, the inside ones are lower power high beams for the daytime running lights during the day when the vehicle is in gear. At night the outside ones are the low beams and the inside are full power high. You said it was evening so maybe your headlights were actually on at the time?

Old 03-30-2011, 08:02 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Old Skool Soldier
Hey all, OSS here;

........the two innter headlights were their running lights, and my outer lights are my running/low beams?
I flicked my highbeams on, and the middle ones come on/outer ones are off.

Am I crazy?

-OSS
ok,
daytime running lights are middle set......high beams

auto headlights would be your outer set...low beams

depending on sunlight/lighting conditions outside your auto headlights may have been engaged. the sensor on the passenger side speaker grille is the auto headlight sensor...it may have been covered by something on your dash and tricked into on position.

then when you flipped your highs the middle set would come on.

soooo nope still sane....at least as far as this goes.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:06 PM

Hrm..Maybe it's not the auto sensor that's not working...
My headlight switch on the left hand side of the dash doesn't do anything when I move it into the 3 spots. Just the lowbeams stay on no matter where the switch is. Think that is the culprit?

-OSS

Old 03-30-2011, 10:38 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Bring the vehicle out into full sunlight and try it, (I know, tough this time of year in the Soo). That should bypass the sensor by the speaker. Engine running, trans in gear, the inside bulbs should be on at a reduced level, (DRL's). Turn the headlamp switch on and the inner bulbs should turn off and the outside bulbs should come on full brightness, hit the dimmer switch to high beam and the outers should go off and the inners should come on full brightness. Post your results.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:48 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

I know all ZR2's have the low beam at full power for daytime running lights.

It might also be that Canadian Blazers have the lows for DRL? But that wouldn't make much sense since you saw other Blazers with the highs....hmm

Old 03-30-2011, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Bring the vehicle out into full sunlight and try it, (I know, tough this time of year in the Soo). That should bypass the sensor by the speaker. Engine running, trans in gear, the inside bulbs should be on at a reduced level, (DRL's). Turn the headlamp switch on and the inner bulbs should turn off and the outside bulbs should come on full brightness, hit the dimmer switch to high beam and the outers should go off and the inners should come on full brightness. Post your results.

Unfortionatly for me, my headlight switch doesn't do anything. I sat in the driveway, running in P, and I adjusted the headlight switch and nothing changed (saw the lights on the house door)

-OSS

Old 03-31-2011, 03:55 PM

Well I tested it out today in day light, and the outside lights are on :S Think its the selector switch?

-OSS

Old 03-31-2011, 04:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Are your tail lights on as well?