2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

heater & a/c control level not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Beginning Member
Izzy207 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default heater & a/c control level not working

The first and second level of the heater & a/c control assembly is not working. What would be the recommended repair for this? Is it the control assembly or something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Old 07-30-2011, 06:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What are you driving? Please add this information to either your signature or create a garage for your vehicle which will add the details under your screen name.

The most likely cause is a bad resistor pack which is what controls all but high speed on the fan.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Beginning Member
Izzy207 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 1999 Chevy Blazer

Thanks
Omar

Old 08-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you have numbers for fan speeds, then the problem almost certainly is the resistor pack. Disconnect the electrical connection near the distributor located on top of the HVAC housing under the hood. Then test for continuity from one pin to each of the other pins. There should be continuity to each of them with the resistance varying pin to pin. If there isn't, the resistor pack needs to be replaced.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:39 PM
bwking is on a distinguished road

I have this same problem with my 2001 Blazer, I believe that I pulled the correct part but everything looks like it's good. Can someone tell me if this is the correct part to check?

Last edited by swartlkk; 08-01-2011 at 04:18 PM. Reason: fixed image links, displaying automatic thumbnail & linking to full resolution image.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Yes, that is the resistor block. If that checks out ok with a continuity test, then the problem is likely with the switch in the dash.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:01 PM

Sorry about the big pictures I tried twice to fix it and change to links.

Anyways I am semi inclined with mechanics. To make a continuity check how would I go about that? I need a test light correct? Thank you guys for thehelp.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Administrator

You need a multimeter that can read resistance in Ohms. It should also have a continuity setting where it will beep if there is continuity between the probes.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:38 PM

I will check all that out, thanks for the help. Would it make any difference if none of the settings work? That is what is happening to me.

Any good places to get an affordable multimeter?