2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Heater core Frusterating

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 12:13 AM
mav06 is on a distinguished road
Default Heater core Frusterating

So i have a 2000 4x4 4 door, i have gotten all the dash off and everythign and i am down to that BLACK BOX that covers the HC. It my manale and it just says take off any bolts and nuts you see and remove the cover. Well my problem is WERE ARE THEY lol. I can't find but one is all. I did get the one on the other side of the firewall in the evaperator cover. But i just cant see anything else to take off. I have looked on the forms here and can't find anything.

matt

Old 08-22-2009, 06:02 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

Assuming you have A/C: Inner fender must be removed, jack it up and remove the right front tire. Remove the A/C evaporator and blower module heat shield screws. Slide the heat shield towards the front of the vehicle. Remove the 2 lower heat/vent module mounting nuts. Remove the A/C evaporator and blower module heat shield bracket. Remove the bottom right mounting bolt from inside the vehicle. From inside the truck get someone to pull back on the right bottom corner about an inch and remove the 2 mounting studs. Let the truck down on the jack. Remove the heat/vent module mounting bolt located at the lower left side of the heater core to heater hose connection. Remove the heat/vent module mounting nut located at the lower right side of the heater core to heater hose connection. Unhook hoses, wires, vacuum lines, etc. (abbreviated version of my manual)

Old 08-22-2009, 06:33 PM
Starting Member
Katmandu is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by RonJon
Assuming you have A/C: Inner fender must be removed, jack it up and remove the right front tire. Remove the A/C evaporator and blower module heat shield screws. Slide the heat shield towards the front of the vehicle. Remove the 2 lower heat/vent module mounting nuts. Remove the A/C evaporator and blower module heat shield bracket. Remove the bottom right mounting bolt from inside the vehicle. From inside the truck get someone to pull back on the right bottom corner about an inch and remove the 2 mounting studs. Let the truck down on the jack. Remove the heat/vent module mounting bolt located at the lower left side of the heater core to heater hose connection. Remove the heat/vent module mounting nut located at the lower right side of the heater core to heater hose connection. Unhook hoses, wires, vacuum lines, etc. (abbreviated version of my manual)
You got to be kidding!

Are there pics anywhere of this invasive surgery ???

Old 08-22-2009, 11:50 PM

Well i got it off, Man what a pain in the Butt. So i had to take off the inner wheel well, so i could get to those two Nuts, I took them off and then there is a bold behind the dip stick that you have to get. Then you have to cut into the rubber on the evaperator casing and take out the Heater Rely. There is a bolt in there that you have to get. Then there is one more on the engine side that is another nut thats beside the Transmission Dip stick. The final bolt is inside under the Hvac casing. That should be all and then take off the the HVAC. Prettt simple after you have done it once. But now i have a problem. I think i didn't hook up a vacume line because it dosen't go hot or cold and it dosen't change were the air Goes. Also i have a stragler wire that i cannot find were it goes. Its on the passanger side at the bottom. Its not the door sensor but thats missing also lol. Any idea whats up? Thanks for the Reply

Matt

Old 08-23-2009, 04:52 PM

Never gone through it myself (knock on wood). That's the GM Manual (more or less) What color is the wire? I can *try* looking through the schematics. There's a boatload of schematics, heh. The question is which system do you have? C60 with the rotary switch or C68 automatic climate control. If it's C68 there's two electrical connectors. One goes to the vacuum electrical solenoid mounted on the front of the case. Other connector goes to the top right of the case into the air temperature actuator. (accessible thru the glove box, push up the the J spring and flip it open) Also if you have C68 automatic you might have to re-initialize the air temperature actuator. Turn the key off, remove the RDO BATT fuse for 10 seconds, reinstall the fuse and try it.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:22 PM

The wire three colors going to the conector, Teal Dark green and a brown. Also how to you figure what system your have a rotary or automatic? From just the sounds of it i think i have a rotary but really i don't know how to tell. Thanks for your help

Matt

Old 08-23-2009, 05:49 PM

Rotary has the rotary range switch on the controls for range. Never saw an automatic... Controls looks kinda similar in the illustrations (3 *****) Either A) look at the label on the inside of your center console lid or glovebox. It would list RPO C60 or C68 in the list. Or, B) You had the dash out, the heater range control had vaccum lines going to it (C60) or the heater controls had a monster electrical connector (C68) Either way I don't see a connector for the HVAC with those colors (sigh). So what else got unplugged so you could do this job?

Last edited by RonJon; 08-23-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:00 PM

So i have the Rotary system and i do have vacume lines. Hmm what else could have been unplugged everythign in the front lol. Pretty hard to tell. What would be causeing No heat and not changing were the Air goes? i do have the c60 have any ideas.

Matt

Old 08-23-2009, 07:37 PM

I looked through my service manual at electrical info. I can see diagrams of harnesses but not the wires within them. I can see connector end views which does give me the info of wire colors within. I couldn't find a connector that used that combination of colors.
You sure about "teal"? GM doesn't use that color. Still, I looked for dark green/brown/green-blue) and still batted zero.
Posted and saw your reply. Does anything happen when you change ranges? Sounds like the black vacuum line is unhooked or it got pinched when you reinstalled the box. That feeds the vacuum to your range (or mode, whatever the proper name is) switch, the range switch moves it to the various actuators

Last edited by RonJon; 08-23-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:51 PM

The Pics of the connector should be posted if i did it right.

Matt

Attached Thumbnails Heater core Frusterating-img_0514.jpg   Heater core Frusterating-img_0515.jpg  

Quick Reply: Heater core Frusterating