2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Heater issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 12:18 PM
Starting Member
Bocomo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Heater issues

I am looking for some advice.
Details: 1999 Chevy Blazer 4.3 4x4.
Problem: Heat only works when cranked all the way up. Most any movement (interior themostat setting) causes a switch to cool/cold air. My guess is the AC is kicking on.

Other info: New radiator, new coolant, new water pump. Hot water is flowing to the heater core (gauging by feeling the inlet hose). Coolant temperature guage runs about 170-180, seems normal.

I apologize for interrupting, I just value the information you guys have. Is this likely to be a "control switch" type problem?

Thank you for any help or ideas.

Bocomo

Old 11-26-2005, 01:27 PM
tammikm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Heater issues

i have the same problem with my 2001 trailblazer, heat setting has to be past the 27 degree point for heat to work.....

Old 11-26-2005, 02:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Heater issues

If you think that the A/C is coming on, you can unplug the compressor clutch and try it out that way. I'm betting it is the flow valve for the heater. IIRC, there is a diverter valve that will open and allow hot coolant to flow through the heater core.

Do both of you have auto-climate control?

Old 11-26-2005, 06:33 PM
Starting Member
Default Auto climate control

Yes, I do on my 1999. Set the inside temperature to 74 or 78 and it blows cool air. Outside it is 16F. Put it all the way to 80 and it does blow warm air. Move down to 74 and cool air comes in.

Is the flow valve vacuum controlled? Sensor? Fairly easy to correct?

Bocomo

Old 11-26-2005, 06:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Auto climate control

The fact that you have autoclimate control changes everything. It is mostlikely that you don't have a problem with the diverter valve, but with the interior temperature sensor. I have seen some get built up with dust so much that they don't properly sense the temperature inside. It is also possible that it has conked out and isn't reading properly. I'll have to do some more research and find out where the sensor is.

Old 11-26-2005, 06:57 PM
Starting Member
Default I appreciate the help

I'm hoping it is something I can do myself, if I know what to do.

Bocomo

Old 11-26-2005, 08:40 PM
Administrator
Default RE: I appreciate the help

Ok, now I'm going on the fact that your '99 should be the same Auto-HVAC as my '00 Bravada. There are 3 sensors on the inside. One is the interior temp sensor, and the other two are the upper and lower discharge temperature sensors. I'm not sure where any of them are. I'll have to look around on mine, but I do know that the lower one requires the Airbag on the passenger side to be disabled. The interior temp sensor should have a little 1" circle grid of small holes that should draw air into a duct that leads to the sensor. It is possible that the duct is not pulling air in properly and/or the sensor has crapped out. Tomorrow I can snap some pictures if I can find what you need.

Below is a chart of the proper resistance values for each sensor if you do find them, you can verify that they are working...

[IMG]local://upfiles/667/90476E687DC04A66991A707AC001B5C0.gif[/IMG]

Old 11-26-2005, 08:41 PM
Administrator

I do suppose that the outside sensor should be checked as well. It is located behind the grill in front of the radiator and should be easy enough to pull and check the resistance at different temps.

Good Luck.

**EDIT** - I did just found some more information. The diverter valve is not on the heater hoses diverting the coolant, it is in the airflow and blocks off air passing through the heater core. I do suppose it is possible that the door is not moving properly or has lost its adjustment.

Old 11-26-2005, 11:17 PM
Starting Member

This is great information. I may have some trouble checking this all out, but I have some time tomorrow.

I really appreciate your time and effort. I owe you a beer..........or more.

Bocomo

Old 11-27-2005, 12:58 PM
Talusgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Then I owe him a case....

Quick Reply: Heater issues