2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

HELP 1997 blazer wont start seems to be a gas issue!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 02:05 PM
Beginning Member
1997liftedblazer is on a distinguished road
Default HELP 1997 blazer wont start seems to be a gas issue!

Hi guys i have a 1997 blazer which has a rebuilt motor and transmission in it well i went to drive it the other day it it was sputtering and missiing like it didnt want to drive so i didnt think much of it i figerd cause i have'nt drove it in a while well i got around the block and it died and would not start it acts as if it was out of gas so i went and bought 5 gallons and put in it and it still didnt start one of the negibors who helped me said it was the fuel pump so i listen and feelt and the fuel pump comes on so i then thought maybe the fuel filter so i changed that the one on the underhalf and no go heres what it will do

i can crank and crank it and it will final start run for a few secs then dies almost like its out of gas. I pulled off the air intake and i dont see no gas going into the TB. I will dump some gas in there and see if it will start if not then im lost on what it could be. bad injecters maybe? or another fuel filter somewhere or could it be infact the fuel pump?

if some here could to shed some light that would be awsome
Thanks in advance

Old 05-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Starting Member
danmiranda is an unknown quantity at this point

The fuel pump may not be providing the right amount of PSI, it sounds like it is failing. I am not sure the PSI required to start and keep the truck running, but the search link at the top of this page does. There are many people here that had similar issues.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Beginning Member

Its getting fuel to the front i found the gas line and took the cap off and pushed the release valuve and gas shot out but the turck wont start even dumping gas stright in the TB still wont start at all now. i might had flooded it through

Old 05-14-2009, 04:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

1st off, fuel does not go to the throttle body. The injectors spray fuel directly into the intake port very close to the intake valve. There is no way to actually see this happen from the throttle body.

I would make sure of what your fuel pressure is and see if it is leaking down first off and go from there. If you dumped too much fuel into the intake and flooded the engine, it may take some time to clear out before you would be able to tell if it'll run by supplying more fuel. That does not rule out a fuel supply problem though. A pressure test and leak down monitoring will tell you if the fuel system is ok or if it is a contributing factor in your problem.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:16 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, 'dumping' gas into it could flood the engine all right. Still, it might be a spark issue. Check for spark at the plugs and run the fuel pressure test, then let us know what you find.

Damn, Kyle, you must type fast.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Beginning Member

ok im going to go to autozone and see if i cant rent a fuel pressure tester then post the results here.

also how could i check to see if its getting spark? but then again it will start for a bit then die so if it wasnt getting spark it wouldnt even do this right?

Old 05-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1997liftedblazer
but then again it will start for a bit then die so if it wasnt getting spark it wouldnt even do this right?
Correct.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Beginning Member

Well its not the fuel pressure i tested it and its got 60 PSI so its something more serious probly a Godd**m sensor or something. there no CEL lights on. Before it would start somewhat now it wont even start it just turns and turns. Bad as i hate to i might have to put it in the shop

Old 05-15-2009, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Pressure holds good once you turn the key off? Have you confirmed good spark? Have you tried removing the ICM and coil and taking them to your closest major chain autoparts store for testing?

Old 05-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Beginning Member

How would i check the spark? just pull a plug out and touch to to metal while fireing? And the ICM i have no idea where thats located

when it first started acting up about a weeke ago it was running then every now and then u would hear *click* from the coil pack area/top back of the motor i could'nt pinpoint the spot then when it clicked the motor missed a bit then run fine again and about 15-20 secs later it *click* and same thing and now it wont start at all.

i will take off the coil pack and try that first do u think autozone can test these?

Last edited by 1997liftedblazer; 05-15-2009 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: HELP 1997 blazer wont start seems to be a gas issue!