2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

HELP 1997 blazer wont start seems to be a gas issue!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 01:13 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I would think that any AZ should be able to test it for you.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Beginning Member
1997liftedblazer is on a distinguished road

Ok i will give that a shot then and post the results

if i new where the ICM was i would test it to. im a newbe when it comes to this kinda stuff

Old 05-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Call first to make sure you do not waste a trip. I know that my local Napa, Autozone, and the, a little further away, Advance Auto can all test ICM's and coil packs.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Beginning Member

Is the ICM the thing thats attached to the coil packs bracket? cause i got the coil pack off and there also a box thing that had a wire going to it and it says GM on it.

my autozone said they test coil packs

Old 05-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Beginning Member

AZ tested the coil pack and it said it was bad so i bought another lets just hope thats what it was. I will let u know tommarow

Old 05-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Beginning Member

still didnt work i guess the guy at AZ didnt know what he was doing when he checked the coil pack or something else went out as well as the coil pack. Im going to call around today and see if i can find some one who can check the ICM and see if its bad or not. If not then i guess i will put it in the shop.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is possible for both to be bad. Just not all that likely.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:06 PM
Beginning Member

I took the ICM to advance auto they tested it it passed once failed twice they said it was bad and i spent 100 buck on a new one got home installed it and the dam thing still dont work. i give up im pulling it to the shop monday and letting them figer it out.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:06 AM
Beginning Member

Ok i tested the spark plugs for spark today and its not sparking so this must be the problem. So far i changed the coil pack and ICM. Only things left is the distributor and wires and plugs which i dout its wires or plugs cause the odds of all 6 going out at once is highly unlikey. Im going to buy a distributor tommarow at the junk yard and change it. I had taken it out once already and inspected it but seen nothing wrong. is there a certin way shaft gose back into the motor cause i didnt think to see how it came out. When i put it back it it seemed it only wanted to go back in a certin way which looked the same as when i took it out.

Also the trucks computer dosent control spark dose it? just to make sure

Old 05-18-2009, 10:24 AM
Administrator

There is most definitely a specific way the distributor has to go back in. Relying solely on the fact that it dropped back in is not a good way to go about this type of thing. I suggest you go through the EDI Engine Timing thread in its entirety, being very precise in following the steps provided.

And yes, the computer controls spark. It uses a combination of the CKP (crankshaft position - located on the timing chain cover on the front of the engine) and CMP (camshaft position - located inside the distributor) to determine the location of the cylinders, etc. It then uses that data to time the spark according to other input received from the knock, MAP, MAF, O2, and other related sensors. If you were getting no spark at all...

Quick Reply: HELP 1997 blazer wont start seems to be a gas issue!