2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Help with 1997 chevy Balzer LT emergency brake cable mystery..

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Beginning Member
sixvictor1 is on a distinguished road
Default Help with 1997 chevy Balzer LT emergency brake cable mystery..

Hello.. I'm not sure if a post about this subject is available... I have a 97 Blazer.. It's the LS 4 door AWD with the 4.3L. I have a few problems with her, But she's been good to me for having 180,000 on her... I'm trying to find a diagram or a pic of the routing of the parking brake cable... I only have the cable from the pedal and the one coming from the driver side wheel... The problem is that this cable attaches to the "TOP" of the brake assembly in the back of the rotor brake unit.. not on the side like all the other Blazers I've looked at... It has the rear disk brakes.. I've looked at quite a few Blazers in the salvage yards and looked at diagrams that the Chevy dealerships have available with no luck... Any help would be appreciated... Thank you..this is the only pic I've found that comes close to what I have..
Help with 1997 chevy Balzer LT emergency brake cable mystery..-931021mw04-031.jpg

Old 03-28-2012, 11:43 PM
onebadsuv is on a distinguished road
Default chevy Balzer LT

Sorry but that diagram posted does not apply to Your Balzer model

LOL... couldn't resist !

Old 03-29-2012, 10:08 AM
Beginning Member

LOL... true, but it's as close as it gets.. Any idea where I can find the diagram?

Old 03-29-2012, 10:48 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by pettyfog
Welcome

Meantime go to rockauto.com they have cables for it looks like at least one 'off road' option which may be the one you want
Did you actually look on rockauto and determine none of those applied? Doing so and mentioning it would be helpful to avoid redundant answers.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:14 AM
6victor1 is on a distinguished road
Default 1997 parking brake cable

Yes I did look on rockauto... the last cable on the list looks like the one I'm looking for... But, the problem I'm having is that the original cable that was installed in the truck is no longer there.. so i have no idea how its installed.. the old one was in the trunk broken when I got the truck.. I'm trying to find a diagram that will show me how it gets installed... I've looked at several Blazers in the salvage yards and no luck... I've also tried a couple of Chevy dealerships and they only show diagrams for the ones with the cable attached to the sides not the top of the brake drum... Can anyone here help with this question?

Old 04-05-2012, 11:23 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

This doesnt apply directly but you should think about it.
Way years ago, I modded an 88 Mustang LX convertible into an SVO, which is essentially a cross between a Ford Cosworth Sierra, a Lincoln MkVII, and a Stang. That meant I had the MkVII rear axle with five lug disk brakes. It wasnt a whole lot of trouble finding wheels, but it was difficult to find the non-existant park brake cable.
Till I put my brain in gear and realized all I had to do was make a clevis for the arm out of the caliper and a stout bracket to attach the sheath-end to the caliper back plate and then I could use the plentiful and cheap drum brake cable.
If you think about the feasilibilty of doing that, it may work out and you'll help someone else down the road by writing it up on here.
The alternative is to think about exactly what axle mounted parts are different on yours v the usual production version.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:43 PM
6victor1 is on a distinguished road
Default missing parking brake...

I'm posting pics of the routing of the brake system on my truck...
First is the driver side rear brake..
Second is another angle of the driver side...
Third is the passengers side...
Fourth is the cable coming from the pedal....
and fifth is where the missing cable would go....
Thank you for the help..

Attached Thumbnails Help with 1997 chevy Balzer LT emergency brake cable mystery..-drivers-side.jpg   Help with 1997 chevy Balzer LT emergency brake cable mystery..-drivers-side2.jpg   Help with 1997 chevy Balzer LT emergency brake cable mystery..-passenger-side.jpg   Help with 1997 chevy Balzer LT emergency brake cable mystery..-first-cable.jpg   Help with 1997 chevy Balzer LT emergency brake cable mystery..-missing-parts2.jpg  

Old 10-05-2012, 09:18 PM
metalmanx is on a distinguished road
Default Brake cable 1997 Bravada

Hey Vic did you solve your brake cable issues? I have a 1997 Bravada with the exact cable configuration. My cables seized/rusted last year and I could not find the exact replacement from anywhere! They said they were obsolete. I could have had them made custom ordered. I am handy with working metal and modified the recommended set form Auto-zone. I took measurements and cut/welded and made my own brake cables. Then I had to install them. Confused I worked at installing them but it did not make sense just how they linked together. The strangest part is how they pull both brake wheel levers. I don't think I could explain the process if I tried. I could draw you a diagram if you think it would help you. All in all I had fun making the cables and installing them. Now I know how they connect and work! I do have some photos of how the cables go together off they vehicle on a cardboard background. See the attached pic and let me know if it helped you. "metalmanx"

Old 10-06-2012, 09:22 PM
Beginning Member
Default brake cable

TY for getting in touch with me about this cable nightmare!!! I visited the local salvage yard yesterday.. again.. trying to find this cable... no luck.. again!!! I was not able to see the attached pic..please send it to me.. Thanks again for your help.. Is your truck an AWD?

Old 10-06-2012, 09:55 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Just a thought here.... but it looks to me like the axle housing was installed upside down for some unknown reason. Flip it end for end and the levers would be on the bottom, where they're supposed to be. The caliper bleeders need to be on the top of the caliper and facing up, so you might need to leave the calipers on the sides they're on now.

Quick Reply: Help with 1997 chevy Balzer LT emergency brake cable mystery..