2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

help with 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 07:57 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Reading over this thread, it just hit me, yours is a 2001 and I believe you have an electric solenoid that controls vacuum to the actuator. It looks like this:

It's located on the firewall just above the distributor and has 2 vacuum lines connected to it.

Dorman Products - Search Results

If so, with the engine at idle, one of the vacuum lines should have vacuum. If so, select 4WD and see if there is vacuum at the actuator.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:01 PM
Beginning Member
Valicswarrior is on a distinguished road

no i think that is for four button only i saw that on some websites but its not on my blazer and i think i read it was for 4 button systems.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

So, when you apply vacuum to the actuator, the cable pulls in but the axle still does not engage? Is that where we're at now?

Old 11-29-2011, 09:24 PM
Beginning Member

yes sir that is where i am currently stuck lol and snow is coming soon lol

Old 11-29-2011, 09:46 PM

Getting down to the nitty gritty now.... If you're certain the axle is not engaging, either the cable is broken where it attaches to the clutch, or there's a problem with the clutch itself. The housing where the cable enters the front axle housing has to come apart to replace the cable and if the cable is OK, it will require more disassembly of the axle to diagnose & repair the clutch.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:50 PM
Beginning Member

so next step removed the 3 or 4 bolts holding the actuator to the front diff and inspect that end of the cable then if all is well remove the cover form the diff?

Old 11-29-2011, 09:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Valicswarrior
so far lookin in this article it seems to stop explaining right where i am i put vacuum to my actuator and i have no 4 wheel still
The second to last sentence in my reply to that thread links to another thread which goes through the front axle engagement system.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:01 PM

Yup, items 7 through 23 all have to do with the clutch system that engages the outer axle to the inner axle.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:43 AM
Starting Member
Duanew65 is on a distinguished road

Trace an inspect your vacuum lines I had holes in mine I had the same problem I replaced vacuum lines it works fine

Old 11-30-2011, 08:03 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Duanew65
Trace an inspect your vacuum lines I had holes in mine I had the same problem I replaced vacuum lines it works fine
i manually put vacuum to the actuator and still didn't have 4 wheel

Quick Reply: help with 4x4