2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Help Electrical

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 12:05 PM
haley is on a distinguished road
Default Help Electrical

Hi I need some help. So thank you in advance. I have a 2000 Blazer with strange problems. The driver side rear light dose not work it is completely out. The other side lights up but the break light and directional light do not work. The third break light dose work. But my problems do not end their. I also have no inside lights and the rear hatch indicator says the hatch is not closed. Tho it is. and the 4wheel drive selector stopped working. This all happened at once so some how it is all related. I have replace the bulbs in the rear. No help. I replaced the fuses under the hood to the rear lights for the directional. But they blow as soon as i touch the break pedal. I am good with cars but I do not even know where to start. Any thoughts would be a great help... Thanks again

Old 03-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you have a corrosion problem in the tail light sockets. When you replaced the bulbs, did you inspect the socket?

As far as the hatch indicator, that could be a problem with the switch in the back hatch. IIRC, you should be able to move the switch with a screw driver with the hatch open. But I can't remember if you have to first pull off the panel to get at the switch.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:55 PM

Yes I did and the sockets were clean. I am in the process of Going from the back to the front. I feel like I am reverse engineering the truck. The switch in the back hatch on both the glass and the gate test out OK. I think i have a ground short some where. But i have no clue where to look. Thanks your keeping me thinking its nice to have the help.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Wiring problems are never fun. Thorough patience is key in getting it repaired. I wish I could be of more help.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:06 PM

Thanks again. I now have the driver seat out and the dash all apart. I stopped after I removed the instrument cluster. I am hoping to find a burnt wire some where but not yet. Is their a master control module that the rear lights and dome lights go through? Ill go under the hood in the morning. Thanks again

Old 03-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Well, the parking lights and dome lights are both controlled by the headlight switch in the dash, but I think they are actually separate inside the switch itself.

The multifunction switch controls both the turns, hazards, and brake lights (all use the same filaments in the bulbs at the back).

Old 03-26-2010, 05:09 PM

Well I found my problem. After removing all the seats and the carpet . I found the harness under the drivers gas pedal still wet from winter. It was at that point from a "heavy gas foot" that the wire insulation wore out and with the abundance or moisture caused several wires to melt together. This is what caused all of my electrical failure. New problem - in the harness I have 16 wires that were burned and melted together. I have two purples and four oranges (one of the oranges has a black stripe so that makes it easier). How do I determine which wire goes to what? Does anyone have a wire color code, e.g. the purple goes to the dome light?

Thanks!

Old 03-27-2010, 06:26 PM

Ok. So I just need to know what the two orange wires are. The purple wires are rear window control and that was easy to figure out. But I can not figure out what the two orange due. I still have no dome lights and the 4 wheel drive switch still dose not work. However all the lights in the rear now work and so does the gate switch. Any help would be great.. I am oh so close now.. Thanks for everything..